Karibari Boards anyone?

I've googled, but come up with very little. Anyone have a link to plans? Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

No plans, but as far as I can make out, it's a square lattice? Here's one image:

far as I can make out, Karibari is the process of applying the paper. The frame seems ot be a simple lattice.

Reply to
Guess who

Thanks - I've sent them an email to see if they can provide some more information. A local art conservator wants me to build three different sizes for him to repair old maps. He has a couple of old sketches, but I'd like to learn a bit more. For example, should I use rice glue?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

How on earth are they finding green persimmons in Dundee ? I've been after some for ages - the only ones I can find are Israeli and might taste better, but the juice just doesn't work for wood finishing.

Karibari boards are reasonably well documented amongst museum and paper conservation people. They're a simple lightweight flat frame, covered with several layers of Japanese paper (high wet strength) and then varnished with a waterproof varnish. Persimmon juice is used because it's waterproof when exposed to sunlight, which urushi lacquer isn't.

The usual Western introduction to the boards and their use is Webber & Huxtable's paper in "The Paper Conservator" 9 (1985)

You can make a simple one by stretching mylar across a lightweight honeycomb-core door and tacking it down with a staple gun. I'm a barbarian.

A better one (or at least more traditional) can be made from a simple frame covered in a few layers of decent mulberry paper, then shellaced.

Reply to
Andy Dingley