workbench wheels

after a lot of fuss well not that much really
i decided not to have wheels on the work bench
i like a bench that stays put and the wheels that get out of the way added too much bulk under the bench which i use for storage
some of the wheels get in the way like the rockler ones for 80
so i have a small hf dolly that i slap under it and move it that way
the bench is heavy but not so heavy that it is a two being job and once i get the height set i may not move it much or at all
i do enjoy seeing some of the solutions that can be bought and the diy are my favorite
search on workbench wheels to see some interesting contraptions
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 11:25:16 -0700, Electric Comet

Many years ago - for my awful Delta 16 inch - 3-wheel bandsaw - I made a plywood stand with retractable wheels - .. kinda ugly and laughable now - but functional. .. for sale to highest bidder ! John T.
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 11:25:16 -0700, Electric Comet

The rockler ones are fine, and you can buy adapter plates for them so you can use them on more than one item. Easily moved.
Sometimes they are difficult to raise or lower and that is because of the wheel position at the time, just rotate it a bit and it operates ok. Although on heavy items you better be a big guy or extend the levers a bit.
I'd prefer larger diameter wheels to roll over things a lot easier, but to do that you have to DIY. And there are lots of videos for that too.
On 10/16/2017 1:28 AM, OFWW wrote:

The biggest mistake with wheels is ones that are too small diameter. I made my workbench about twenty years ago. It at the time I only had experience with laboratory benches that were on wheels and used that as a guide. The ones I put on my bench are about 1.5" and are adequate.
Someone mentioned they did not want their bench moving. I have found with mine, it moves but because of the weight there is a lot of inertia to over come to start moving it, so it does not move unexpectedly.
I don't know exactly how much it weighs. To understand the size weight relationship, the top is about 30" X 50" and consist of a lap jointed 2 X 4 frame with a 1/2 plywood insert. The cabinet part made of 2 X 4 lap jointed wood with 1/2 plywood for the two shelves. Each end is enclosed with peg board for the back so saw blades etc can be hung in the enclosure. The end enclosure has small saws, clamps, etc.
--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

On 10/15/17 11:28 PM, OFWW wrote:

I made my bench with wheels attached to a 2X6 that spans each end. The wheels flip down under the bench feet when I want to move it (which is rare) and then can be flipped up to the sides when parked letting the bench rest on solid feet. The wheels are 5", which gives the bench a nice height for sanding/finishing work. When the bench is on it's base, it is perfect height for vise work and as a large outfeed table for the TS.
-BR