Anyone have a price & quality opinion on this jointer....

Lot 3 - http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg ήtails&id!435
I'm also watching Lot 6 for a friend.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 17-Oct-17 1:17 PM, Sonny wrote:

New Oliver/PM 16" straight cutterhead are in the $8-9K range.
The Extrema is also Asian; solidly built iron with pretty high marks for durability and such...certainly if you've the space and power and can get it moved (it'll weigh 1500 lb minimum), it'd easily be worth $5K as far as actual value; of course, getting money back out would likely all be in the chance't finding someone else if that were ever to be a consideration.

βœ–

At 3/4 ton, it's a beast.
http://www.extremausa.com/products/jointers.php
Add pictures here
βœ–
The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price. I didn't bid on it, as the bidding exceeded my highest offering a few hours before the sale closed.
The bandsaw went for $950, which was more than what I expected it to fetch.
I know where a 24" Oliver jointer is (within a reasonable drive), for $3500. Today, I received a few more pics from the guys. Maybe (I suspect) they'll take less. I haven't made an offer, yet, and 24" is way too much more than I need(?) or want.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–

$3,700 555 (15% Buyer's Premium) + 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax) ------ $4,625 OUCH!
http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/auction_specific_terms.asp?auc !435 https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates/louisiana/cities/baton-rouge/
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 18-Oct-17 4:16 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Plus whatever it takes to get it home and setup...but that's still "only" about 50% what new would be. If you're already set up with 3P power and have reason, wouldn't be a terrible buy...not a real gloat but not bad for what appears a machine in good condition...

βœ–
On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 4:16:41 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales tax on a used item?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sale is a sale. Business buying it may be exempt. Perhaps the local tax laws are different from where you live. CT tax law: If a seller that is represented by the sales agent is engaged in selling the property in the regular course of business, the seller is liable for collection of sales tax from the buyer measured by the gross receipts from the property sold. If the seller is making a "casual sale" pursuant to Conn. Agencies Regs. Β§12-426-17, tax does not apply to the sale of the property by the seller to the buyer. In either case, however, the sales commission paid to the sales agent by the seller is taxable.
Good new though, caskets are exempt from sales tax!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Generally not, if it's used by the business (rather than resold).

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/18/2017 9:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

State law varies. If it is used in production of your product it may be exempt. We never paid tax on machines, raw material, packing material. We did pay for janitorial supplies and the like.
Add pictures here
βœ–

From: http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/auction_specific_terms.asp?auc !435 "TAXES: Sales tax where applicable, applies to all sales unless the Buyer, in the sole determination of Auctioneer, provides Auctioneer with proper sales tax exemption documents."
The only internet auction I've ever bought from is eBay. The only time I pay sales tax through eBay is if the seller is located in my State. I have never paid a "Buyer's Fee" regardless.
If I were the highest bidder on either of the following auctions, I would only pay my wining bid amount because I'm not a resident of California... https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Oliver-Jointer-Model-166-CD-/332416278526 or Maine... https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Northfield-Jointer-3-sets-of-knives-/322824843349
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/18/2017 9:38 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

But you may be subject to the Use Tax. Ebay gets a cut of the selling price and that is included in your bid offer. In most sttes if you are not charged a tax on out of state purchases you are supposed to pay a Use Tax to your home state. Just send it in!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/19/2017 7:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Precisely. But most do not pay a sales tax on these type transactions because they are not a business. It is not financially feasible for the state to track down and go after non business unregistered buyers. It is the responsibility of the buyer to pay the sales tax and the sellers responsibility to collect the sales tax and submit to the state that they are doing business in. If the sale is outside the state the buyer should submit the sales tax directly to the state. But few ever do that.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When the internet was newer, had a friend who bought cigs from Kentucky, Illinois dept. of Revenue did get wise and he was handed a large bill based upon previous purchases.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/19/2017 12:39 PM, Leon wrote:

Our state income tax form has a line where you can fill in the tax owed for out of state and mail order purchases. The people of CT are very honest and I'm sure everyone fills it out properly.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/19/2017 3:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Uh huh.... What is State Income Tax? ;~)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/19/2017 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:

Money we spend to reduce our Federal Income Tax. :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

For now. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

The states I've lived in have a place on the income tax form to report sales and use tax that was unpaid.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 18-Oct-17 7:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

NE law--
"An auction is a sale of land, property, or services to the highest bidder. An auctioneer is a person authorized to sell property and services at auction for a commission or fee."
"Auctioneers are retailers and must obtain a Nebraska Sales Tax Permit. Auctioneers are required to collect and remit the appropriate sales tax on all sales, unless a specific exemption applies. The auctioneer must retain documentation in his or her business records supporting all non-taxed sales."
"Farm Auctions. Household goods, personal effects, tools, miscellaneous items, and farm machinery and equipment sold at a farm sale conducted, supervised, or aided by an auctioneer are taxable. Agricultural machinery and equipment that is used directly in the cultivating or harvesting of a crop, the raising or caring of animal life, or the collecting or processing of an agricultural product on the farm or ranch is exempt from tax with a completed Nebraska Resale or Exempt Sale Certificate, Form 13, from the buyer. For additional information regarding this exemption and types of qualifying machinery and equipment please see the Agricultural Machinery and Equipment Information Guide.
When the auctioneer makes sales of qualified agricultural machinery and equipment, he/she is acting like a farm implement dealer and must charge the sales tax on machinery and equipment at farm auctions unless the buyer completes a Form 13."
I know no other state in the area surrounding us and including KS that doesn't have essentially identical law. KS is a little "more simpler" for farm use declaration in that the purchaser can have an exempt certificate on file rather than having to have specific certificate in hand. But, in theory, anything other than the specifically-exempted production equipment is taxable if the auction is conducted by auctioneer.
Individual one-on-one sales are _not_ covered and are exempt.
States will make every effort to tax any and all financial activity wherever and however it takes place that they have any hope whatever of collecting.
Add pictures here
βœ–