Woodworking Message Board

Some places, sure, but, given enough time, all the broadband services will eventually converge on some national standard of, say, 50Mbps.

We have Comcast. Originally, the service was touted as (usually) 1.5Mbps down. I just ran a speed test and the thing is clocking at 29.8Mbps! Comcast just keeps upping the speed without fanfare.

We also have AT&T DSL (as a backup) and use it for our VoIP phones (3). It's not so hot for anything else inasmuch as its ~768Kbps.

Reply to
HeyBub

I wonder if some of the old Fido code is still around? That might do it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I've had Giganews for years now. I haven't had any of the problems you speak of.

Reply to
CW

Sigh..... At my age, Sonny, I can't think of anything that might be embarrassing to me. And as for "missing", I was referring to Usenet. It's almost as much fun as woodworking; I wouldn't miss it for anything. I do "worry" about poor spelling though. Some of the more recent graduates from our illustrious educational institutions can hardly spell their own names. By the way, have you ever heard of "Foghorn Leghorn"?

Max

Reply to
Max

I'm convinced they can't and what is worse they don't care.

As in Looney Tunes fame?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Yep. As in, "That's a joke, son, ah say, ah say, that's a joke".

The Salty Dog missed my "snerk".

Max

Reply to
Max

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:56:44 -0600, the infamous Larry Blanchard scrawled the following:

RIME Rules, y'old farte!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:57:18 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Oops, sorry. I meant to say TERAnews, not GIGA. I haven't used it for awhile. I've been using Forte's APN at $2.95/mo for years.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

folks dropped off after ISPs took down their Usenet servers. This happened to me, a 20-year AT&T customer. Rec.woodworking is still very active, the most active newsgroup I read.

If your ISP doesnot support Usenet, you can still read/post using the free server

news.eternal-September.org

No sign-up fee, no billings, no nags, completely free. Of course, it does not support binaries but in this case, that can be a good thing in keeping performace high for something that is free. The AT&T servers worked 99% of the time. The Eternal-September server works 97% of the time.

Reply to
Phisherman