Woodworking Message Board

Hello all. Nobody here probably remembers me, however, I was quite active in rec.woodworking a few years back. Unfortunately, Roadrunner went and discontinued their usenet access leaving me high and dry. This seems to be the norm nowadays. I started thinking that I really miss the wreck and would love to particpate again. The problem is that it's a royal pain in the butt to access it anymore. I managed to hook up with a free service but, I've got to say, usenet is showing it's age.

What I'd like to to is to take down my woodworking site and change it over to a woodworking message board/forum. I'd want it to be as free and open as the Wreck is. There would be no ads and I'd keep graphics very light to make it easy on those with limited bandwidth. This is totally on my dime. I've already got the domain and I pay for the hosting with a few other sites that I have on my account. I'd only do this if I thought there would be enough interest from you folks. After all, it's no fun throwing a party if nobody comes. Well, the party's on me this time. If there's enough interest I could have the site up in a very short order.

Please comment here and let me know. I'm particularilly interested in hearing from the old farts that have been hanging out in the Wreck since the beginning of recorded history!

Thanks much, Jeff Picard

You can check out my old woodworking site at:

would become the new forum)

I also have a site devoted to odds and ends and silly stuff. If you're interested you can check that out here:

visit my website:

jpicard

wrote

Nope, I don't have a clue who you are.

I signed up with Astraweb. That was simple.

Sign up with a news provider and it is easy. It is amazing the number of folks who think this is a big mystery and/or a difficult task.

As are we. Ain't nobody here 'cept us old farts.

And I like it just fine where I am, thank you.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

So nice of you to make me feel so welcome Lee.

Reply to
Jeff P.

I've yet to see a web based forum or message board that is as easy as USENET to use. I can go through a bunch of newsgroups rather quickly as opposed to going to a different web page for each topic.

Do as you please, but I'm 99.9% sure I won't visit. I use Giganews.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have only been around for about 10 years so I probably do not qualify but I don't think you are going to get any serious commitments. If you want to do this, do it for your own pleasure with out expectations and you will not be disappointed. You are probably the 874,883,847 person to suggest this... ;~) If you build a good site it shoud work.

Reply to
Leon

anymore. "

This is similar to asking the fellas at the buffalo log to start meeting at your house because the drive is inconvenient for you.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

"buffalo lodge" not log.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Don't mind the ole farts. I mean you said it yourself,"ole farts". And you know how ole farts can be, arrogant, nasty, and stubborn asses. Like my sig says, you can lead an "old" horse to water but you can't make him drink. Also many here that don't remember you probably think this fits in the spam directory. Many here, have already tried woodworking forums and don't like the restrictions put on them. That Saw Mill Site comes to mind. Would rather have the freedom here of Off Topic and the occasional tilted vulgar humor. Try it at your own risk. Just my opinion and you know what they say about them....

Reply to
Evodawg

The biggest problem for these "outside" boards is that it simply means that everyone has to follow two places, rather than one, to see all conversations. Most questions have to be posted and answered in both to make sure everybody gets them. It's just plain counter-productive to have multiple places carrying mostly redundabnt posts.

Reply to
salty

Well, thanks for the feedback. Nevermind, I guess. I appreciate all of you taking the time to offer an opinion.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Hi Lew, I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup services cost money. Most message boards are free.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Google Groups is free.

GarageWoodworks

Hi Lew, I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup services cost money. Most message boards are free.

Do you have a free ISP? After that major expense or the hassle of going to a free ISP location, a very small fee of $3 per month for "the expensive" news server service is all you need to remain here. Many news servers are way way less expensive than $3 per month.

Reply to
Leon

Jeff P. wrote: ...

Several no-cost news servers out there--

news.aioe.org news.eternal-september.org

are two...I've been using the eternal-september site for a while now. Other than no abpw and a little short on retention no complaints.

--

Reply to
dpb

Sorry Jeff. I hate web based discussion forums. Haven't seen one yet that makes it easy to follow threads or offers killfiles.

I'll stay with usenet.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

There is no requirement that the company that provides the physical wire also be your ISP.

In our case, the wire belongs to Comcast and our ISP is Earthlink. Earthlink provides Giganews at no additional cost.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's what I was going to say :-). I'm switching from dialup to cable today, so I'll be searching for a news server as well. But I won't give up on Usenet. Where else but the wreck could I keep up on the latest far right fantasies :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Jeff try

One time set up fee of $4. They do have some down time once and a while. But they work well in mozilla Thunderbird e-mail / news reader.

Also see

Mike > Hello all.

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

"Jeff P." wrote in news:fc5578ed-44a5-4147-a308- snipped-for-privacy@l11g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

For many of us, Usenet access is a one-time cost. Some Usenet providers charge by the amount downloaded, so after a few years of reading a text group there's barely a dent made in the amount purchased. The $25 I paid for Astraweb was cheaper than a magazine subscription.

There's free providers out there too, but I haven't had much luck with them. YMMV.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Jeff P." wrote: Hi Lew, I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup services cost money. Most message boards are free.

------------------------------------------ Provided by my ISP so cost is included.

Granted, Astraweb was a onetime $25 fee for a lifetime access to cover binaries.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett