Woodworking Classes?

Community college or vocational school (e.g. BOCES) is one potential source. Another source would be to seek out a non-profit community theater group and sign yourself up as an apprentice carpenter. (Look for a group that builds their own sets of course. And groups that don't pay their members are going to be much more likely to take you in.) They usually have a couple of members who are pros, or just plain accomplished amateurs, who'll show you the ropes (literally!), and especially how to cover up your mistakes. :-> Just be prepared to do other things in addition to building sets (e.g. like carrying costumes and props, selling tickets, ushering). You'll learn basic skills and maybe make some new friends. After that you can grow your woodworking hobby in whatever direction you like.

If your dad, granddad or uncle didn't take you under his wing when you were a kid then your chance at a one-on-one craftsmanship tutorial is long gone, I'm afraid.

J.

Corner of My M> Hi,

Reply to
J.

I like most of those ideas, but the free volunteering may not work out so well. They're in the business to make money and many won't want to stop to train someone. You may luck out tho.

There's a local guy here who runs a top-notch school. As it turns out, an old friend of mine. I have been planning on taking a class or two from him, and would aim in that direction rather than the community college/high school route. He's more expensive than the community college courses, but offers somethings they can't afford to do and that is bringing in professionals who have specialized in one thing or the other.

He offers beginner's courses and from what I've heard they are excellent. It's something else that you can think about. Most of the private schools run evening courses, and I think they are good bang for the buck.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Nose around a bit. I took the router class at the local Woodcraft and it consisted of the 'instructor' (a term I don't normally abuse) running (not walking) through a number of jig projects complete with photocopied (with the publishers name obscured) excerpts from ShopNotes magazine.

I basically got nothing out of the class, which ended early. NO hands-on time. ALL show & tell. Overpriced by about $70.00.

I was hoping to add to my knowledge, but I think I came out of there knowing less than when I went in.

Rather than listen to that instructor again (he teaches about 1/2 of their classes at present), I just buy tools and try to figure them out. It's cheaper and safer that way.

I am not telling you not to take classes from there, but walk in with your eyes wide open.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Reply to
nospambob

I've taken 2 classes at the Woodcraft store in Pompano - a one evening turning class and one on sharpening your turning tools. The turning class was with Dean and was very good - all hands-on and left with my first bowl :). The sharpening class was even better - they had to cancel but I never got the message and drove 20 miles anyway, so Jay, the manager, took my in back and showed me how, cranked up a lathe for me to test the newly sharpened gouges on, and gave me some advice to correct my technique. I plan on going back to take the "Woodturning 101 & 201" from Lee Sky soon - he's very good.

Tom

Reply to
Tom S

Yes... a previous posters advised that and I visited their website and printed a class schedule.

Good to know that someone that works there also recommends it.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Sounds like a very good idea. I tend to read owners manuals from front to back before using any new device.

That sanding skill may have also come in handy for him with the non-wooden version of the appendage.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

PBS... I keep forgetting that station exists. Thanks.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

I hadn't thought of those issues.

I am a computer nerd and enjoy tinkering alone so I do imagine I would also enjoy woodworking also.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Thanks for your recommendation. I really appreciate it.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Ok... now I need to confess my ignorance/newbieness.

When I initially saw the list of classes and read their description, I was thinking "woodworking 101 & 201" and not "woodturning 101 & 201". I did not realize my mistake until I read your post.

I think Table Saw and Router would be more beneficial for me if what I'm initially interested in building are built-in bookcases, window seat, and other items that have minimal rounded pieces.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Yes, I realize that now after reading another post. My brain was thinking "woodworking" and not "woodturning" when I read that course name.

I didn't see a "Fundamentals of Woodworking" course in the ones offered by the local store. That would be good class though.

Thanks. I'm going to seriously look into this progression of learning.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

I'll have to check locally to see if I'm lucky enough to be in a district that does offer high school adult education as a choice.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

How much do those specialized tools cost and what is a good brand to buy? :)

Another vote for hand tools. I'm noticing a pattern.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Great suggestion.

Unfortunately my dad was not a "handy-man" type person and we lived thousands of miles away from nearest relatives. My father worked overseas when I was growing up and my family was in the US.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

That true. Private colleges usually offer the same courses to "non-enrolled?" students as long as they don't want credit towards a degree.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Oh...NO!!! That is _NOT_ what I wanted to hear!!!

I was really leaning towards signing up and was actually going to drop by after work today to sign up and take a look around the store.

I was expecting hands-on time as well as much more than show and tell.

Thank you for telling me this even though it just shattered my expectations.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Well...this is a completely opposite experience than Bill experienced when he took the router class. I wonder if the teaching technique is different based on the class or based on the store/teacher. Since I would be going to the pompano store also because it is the local one to me, this makes me feel a little better.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

Thanks for the advise. That seems logical to me.

Reply to
Corner of My Mind

  1. Go to the public library and read the woodworking books. All of them. Read first to get you exposed to the tools and different methods of doing things.
  2. Best/only way to learn a hands on craft such as woodworking is to do it. With some basic knowledge and ideas gained from reading the books. Think of something you want to do, then read up on the specific task you want to do.
  3. Decide if you have the tools to do the job. Buy, borrow the right tools to do the job. Or figure out an alternative way to do the job with the tools you have. May have to reread up on the topic.
  4. Do the job. Only way to learn a craft such as woodworking is by doing.

I've taken several classes. A few hands on where I used the tools and a few where I sat in the audience and watched a slide show or the woodworker do the task in front of the group. Hands on were the best. But even then you have to immediately follow up at home with the same task to really learn the task or you forget it too quickly after the teacher shows you how. Watching others do it is enjoyable, but without hands on experience or an immediate job to apply the technique to, there really isn't any learning.

Learn woodworking by doing. After you learn some stuff on your own then maybe take a hands on class for something specific. Maybe reinforce what you learned on your own or to correct something you are not doing right now. But the class will really just build on what you already know. It won't get you started.

Reply to
russellseaton1