Woodworking Auction Today. Some real nice Cherry wood

All Went to a Woodworking auction today. Lots or nice lots of real nice wood. And prices were good. WOW. I bought 28 pieces of Cherry. My weakness. 2X6, 8, 10, 12 and some in between sizes. Everything 8' to

12' long. All nice and dry as usual in AZ. Almost clear of knots. Just a few here and there. And reasonably straight. Stored it in my Sisters storage room.

Some questions. I knew or think I know that 5/4ths lumber will plane clean 1". So is lumber that planes clean 2", 9/4ths? And does lumber that planes clean to an even inch size command a premium.

What does Cherry lumber go for like this?

Also bought 50 or so mortise drills and the square chisels that go with them. Never had any of these. Any pointers about these? Are the holders expensive?

Also a blast gate that looks like it is remote controlled with an air supply.

Thanks for any input.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Bob AZ wrote: ...

Hardwood is dimensioned on the roughsawn sizes in quarters of an inch. Thus 1" RS is known as 4/4 (pronounced 4-quarter). Other fractions the same way, even up to 12/4, etc., ...

Bulk hardwood is graded and priced by grade and dimension. Thicker and wider pieces of same grade obviously draw a higher pricing than do lesser. It's not based on surfaced dimensions at all; only rough dimensions and is priced on a bd-ft or 1000 bd-ft basis.

Retail is a different story on pricing and, of course, often things will not draw anywhere near what those prices are at auction (unless there's the runaway buyer that does happen on occasion, of course).

--

Reply to
dpb

2" Cherry was $9.60/bf today at the Atlanta WoodCraft. Nuts!

You didn't say what you paid, but I'm sure YOU SUCK.

Reply to
krw

There need to be at least Two runaway buyers.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

All

Thanks for the input from each of you. The pricing was right but when the added sweat and stink from being outside so much in the 100+ heat and the utilities etc required to bathe twice to be able to stand oneself, the good pricing was tempered some. Perhaps when I get around to using the cherry and having a real nice stock to do what I want to do with all will be well.

Now to unload half of it to take away the pain of writing the check and the associated mental distress, all will be well. Wonder what it costs to send a 2X10 X 10' by UPS say to Florida from AZ.

Also had to special wash all my clean clothes that I started ut the day with to avoid permanent body odor in the house.

And my two hour nap to overcome the additional wear and tear on the old bones.

Ah. Ain't life grand.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Bob AZ wrote: : All : Went to a Woodworking auction today. Lots or nice lots of real nice : wood. And prices were good. WOW.

This was the day I had the worst travel experience of my life.

Where was the auction? Please say it wsn't anywhere near Tucson.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss