old tools (gloat?)

So I'm going through all of my grandfathers old tools that have been in storage for umpteen years-probably since the 50's. There are several wooden chests full of stuff ranging from planes to chisels and gouges, and even an old transit. I'm trying to sort and collate everything into some kind of a managable list. There are about 16 planes in the collection- most in good condition- a couple with some rust where a roof leak dripped into the box they were in.

I'm wondering how much "clean-up" one should or shouldn't do with these old planes. the planes consist of a Stanley no.8; a Baily #8, 3 Baily #4's, Baily no. 5, Baily #6, 2 Stanley #10, a Stanley Rule and Level Co. no 113 (radius plane with flexible sole), stanley #71 1/2 pat oct29, '01 mortise plane, stanley #1951 bevel plane, Stanley #40, a rabbiting plane with no mfg mark - patent march 4 '73, A stanley #50 rabbiting plane patent date sept

11,'83, 3 unmarked wooden body moulding planes, and a stanley #82 (cabinet scrapper?). One of the #8's has a few areas of red-rust, two of the Baily #4's are missing the blade and the blade keeper, one of the stanley #10's is broken in 2 parts.

I've not even tried to go throught the rest of the boxes yet- lots of saw set tools, a miter shear, hand grinder, and lots of chisels and gouges.

any and all "send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly" offers will be ignored :-)

jh

Reply to
John Hightower

snip of post that makes me drool even if it's not a gloat

You forgot to say cheerfully ignored. We must be proper about the small courtesies. Larry

Reply to
larry in cinci

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:10:31 -0600, "John Hightower" pixelated:

Do -less- cleanup than you would for those which might show up on Canuckistani magazine covers, eh? ;)

Unfortunately, that's common. Grandpa was a REAL woodworker. Congrats on a most excellent gloat, suckah.

Aw, shoot.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

my apologies- "will be cheerfully ignored :-)"

jh

Reply to
John Hightower

John,

You suck more than mere words can describe. But please post back with the contents of the other chests so we can fairly evaluate the full extent of your suckage.

Cheers, Mike

p.s. Congratulations.

p.s.s. If you want want to sell anything to collectors, do not clean. If you want to use them, clean up the rust with steel wool and WD40 or mineral spirits. Don't worry about getting anything shiny except the business end of the cutters. I'm gonna make a guess that the bench planes labeled "Stanley" on the bed are pre-1900. Also, the missing parts for the #4s should be reasonably easy to replace but you're SOL on the broken #10.

p.s.s.s. You suck!

Reply to
Mike

sorry to point out, but those should be p.s., p.p.s., p.p.p.s. ...

i agree with the poster on all other points though!

irax. p.s. p.s. represents 'post script'...

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

I've never had one that wasn't broken. I weld them - stick welder, nickel rod, learn on a #4, not a #10

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't be sorry. I appreciate the correction.

So that's what it stands for.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

I was thinking about that- I've got some pretty good welders working here. What rod, specifically?

jh

Reply to
John Hightower

Don't ask me - I'm no expert !

Mine are "trualloy 80", which is just one maker's name for them. If you ask at any decent welding shop for "nickel rods for repairing cast iron", then you;ll find them. If you're lucky, they may even sell you a dozen, rather than a whole box - they're expensive, and few people need a whole boxful.

sci.engr.joining.welding is an excellent ng., with people in it who know far more than I do.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Come to think of it, the #10 Mike Dunbar is pictured using in his "Restoring Old WW Tools" book has been brazed at the obvious location.

I have a #140 (rabbet/rebate block plane) with a cracked lever cap that I hope to get repaired someday. But I know I'll never have the skill/experience to tackle it myself.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

Cheers, Mike - who luckily only had to replace the tote on his #10

Reply to
Mike