Source Cherry in Balto-Wash area.

I need a couple hundred board feet of nice cherry. Walnut and oak also. Can anyone recommend any reasonable sources in Virginia, Maryland or Pennsylvania? Rough cut and unseasoned is OK. I've got time.

Thanks

Reply to
Frank Weston

Exotic Hardwoods in Gaithersburg is fantastic.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Press

I have got some from Hoff Brothers sawmill in Eldersburg for about $1.25/BF for log cut, green cherry. Very nice wood.

Keith

Reply to
<kfram

Frank,

I don't know how reasonable they are, comparitively, but Middletown Lumber always has nice stuff.

Middletown Lumber Brown & Clinton Sts, Middletown, PA 17057 (717) 944-0325

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

Here's my suggestions:

  1. Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford, PA. 610-932-7400. Has a TON of inventory, nearly everything you can imagine - pretty cool place to visit.

  1. Sandy Pond Hardwoods in Buck, PA. Not as big an inventory, but really nice people, very helpful. 717-284-5030.
    . You should see the tables they have that they custom make - unbelievable!

  2. Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, PA. 717-284-0001. No website. Has a pretty good inventory of wood - almost as much as Hearne. Don't go here if you looking for a friendly place - or maybe he just doesn't like people that buy in smaller quantities. He is willing to deal on end cuts and short pieces, etc.

  1. There's a place in Timonium, MD - I think it's called Exoctic Hardwoods. They're on Deereco Rd, off of Padonia Rd, just off of I-83. They have a website, but I can't find it right now. You might check the wood source website, that's how I found them. They have a lot of inventory, but IMHO, they're prices are pretty high.

Interestingly, there's a guy here in York that's been advertising in the local paper for 80 bf of cherry for $400. $5.00/bf (?) - I called him, and he said it was rough cut "old" wood that he bought at auction a few years back. It's in 12" - 16" widths, which sounded good, and it's 1" thick. But, after thinking about it, I decided to pass because I think after you planed it down you'd be lucky to get 3/4" out of it. He's negotiable on the price. I'm just not sure of the condition of it - some of that "auction" wood can be pretty bad...If you're interested, send me an email - I just change the "dot" to "." and the "at" to "@", and I'll send you back his phone number. I don't know him, not related, etc...just something you might be interested in.

Nick B ndotbozovichatverizondotnet

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Three or four years ago I got some really great walnut from Herbine Hardwoods a little ways north of Leesburg, VA. They planed it for a very small extra charge. Then last summer I wanted some more so I called them and e-mailed them but never got a reply. Yet they continue to advertise in Fine Woodworking and list Cherry as one of their woods. It is worth a phone call: 703-771-3067.

Bob Moody

Reply to
Bob Moody

If I may be permitted a correction to the Hearne Hardwoods URL listed way up above.

It is

Please note the s in the URL. I am sure it was just a typo by Nick and certainly not intentional. Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Iola Lumber Company in Central PA is great, they have great quality and and decent prices. I'm building a table out of their #1 Common right now, and those boards look like the FAS in other companies' racks. Go to their website,

Zane