Saw mill in pittsburgh area

I am looking for a good saw mill in the pittsburgh area. I live about

30 miles south of the burgh. i buy most of my exotics at elizabeth lumber but i am looking for a good place to buy rough cut kiln dried lumber as i am now going to buy a planer and jointer. any suggestions would be helpful TIA Dave
Reply to
Mojo

Anthony Diodati

Got just the place for you Dave. However, it's about a 2 hr drive from you. It's called Mountain Lake Lumber, located in Duncansville.

Just a small one man operation, but he has a band mill and a kiln. I've bought some great white & red oak from him ($1.80 bf) and ash ($1.50 bf). Really nice guy named Norm runs it. 814-696-8706. 2740 Old Route 22, Duncansville, PA 16635. Get on the turnpike east, take the Bradford Exit, go north on US 99 to Duncansville. Go west on Old Hwy 22, about 3 miles. On the right side. It's kind of a long trip (I live in York, and it's two hrs for me), but well worth it.

I was there week before last, and he said the kiln was full with red/white oak, ash, and some pine. He has some really nice white pine that looked like 10/4 & 12/4. He offered to cut it up what ever width/length I wanted (I'm not into pine right now, so I passed). He also has cherry, maple, walnut. He said he'd be opening the kiln sometime the second week of March. He also said he has some cherry at the band mill that he'll be doing this spring. You might give him a call before you go over.

Take your pick up or van - it should be worth it!

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

West of Houston on 519 there is a small mill operation. On 88, between Finleyville and Library.

I have only visited the guy near Houston. I would go back to purchase from him. I plan on checking out the place on 88 for material for a small project this spring.

Question for you: how is West Elizabeth to deal with? Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Cherry is about $4 - 4.50 depending on 4/4 or 6/4. Didn't ask on the wallnut. He didn't have a lot of it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Bill Waller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

suggestions

purchase

Im from donora so the guy in houston would be real close for me. the one in duncansville sounds good too sounds like a good selection. west elizabeth lumber are about the only place i know to get exotics around here. so far they are really good to deal with. i have never had any problems with them. they have a great selection and will cut the peices to length. most are S2S which is good if you don't have a planer. thanks for all the help guys!! any other places would be appreciated too because you can never have too many sources. thanks Dave

Reply to
Mojo

Would you say his oak is suitable for flooring? Is it FAS grade? I'd need about 550-600 bf.(sqft) At less than $2 a bf, I could buy a new planer and probably still come out ahead. If so, definitely worth a 2 hr drive.

ThankX, Ron

Reply to
Ron

I purchased Red Oak, Cherry, Maple from custom hardwoods 625 6th Ave Ford City. prices & quality good his name is Jerry 724-763-3030 or 412-486-9115

Norb

Reply to
Norbert Straznick

Ron

I'd give him a try - I think he's been shipping stuff for flooring overseas. We're talking rough sawn lumber - you'd have to plane & joint, etc.

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

What other info like a phone number or address do you have on this guy??? I want to go check him out. anything else you can give me would be much appreciated Thanks Dave

Bill Waller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

suggestions

purchase

Reply to
Mojo

Pawlosky Lumber

1084 Western Avenue, Hickory, PA 15340 (724) 746-4647

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Reply to
Al Reid

Dave, The place on 88 is D&E Hardwood Lumber 412-831-3155

Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Thanks bill much appreciated will let you know how i fair when i check him out Dave

Bill Waller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

elizabeth

Reply to
Mojo