Hard Wood Source?

I've typically used inexpensive wood for my projects, but I've started venturing into the world of hard woods. Who knew there were such interesting woods available? Anyway, I've been testing the local waters, and I'm not finding an obvious source. The big guys (HD and Lowe's) have a small selection of hard woods, of which they are quite proud. Their prices seem extravagant. There's a Wood Craft store in the area, and they have a better selection and they are cheaper than HD/L, but I'm not convinced that this is the best source (specialty store = high price?). I went ahead and bought a quantity of Brazilian Cherry for $4.00 a board foot. Nice looking wood.

OK...let the arrows fly. Is four bucks ridiculous to pay for a BF of cherry, about right, or a major gloat? As another data point, they had some nice white oak for $3.40 per BF.

Let's hear some thoughts on good sources for hard woods, and some typical prices.

Thanks - O.

Reply to
Oregon

Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) is currently selling for $4.05 from my supplier. White oak (plain sawn) sells for $2.80. Quarter sawn white oak is going for $3.60. The supplier I use generally has good pricing.

If you're interested in seeing some of his other prices for comparison see:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

I'm in the same boat. Picked up some sweet tools now I'd like to try out a "Witman's Sampler" of different hardwoods. I've noticed some very, very sweet looking hardwoods on Ebay but I don't have enough experience to know if the prices are any good.....

Don

Reply to
Donald Tredello

look for cabinet makers in your phone book and call and ask them where they buy their wood. I used to buy wood from one of these guys, till I found a better source.

KY

Reply to
KYHighlander

The price is reasonable. Woodcraft also runs a "wood of the month" spcial that you may want to check out every month. Woodcraft is not the best place for a large quantity, but if you just need a single board you can do OK there. They usually carry a pretty god quality, at least the one in my area. Most will sell you a small piece if that is all you need.

Check the phone pages for a hardwood suppplier though. Some offer extra services for reasonable prices. Maybe even a bargain bin with some really good prices for the small or otherwise nasty stuff that can be just what you want for a small box. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That sounds right in line.

I pay about $3 +/- for 4/4 maple Red & White Oak... (Rough cut) I think Cherry is a about $4 right now.

The price go up a buck or so for Quatersawn or particularly thick stock (

Wood prices are very regional though. FWIW, I'm in Northern NY state.

This in my guy's price sheet. I have no doubt that somebody can find better prices, but this guy delivers for a reasonable fee and he trats me right.

Stephen M

If you have the equipment, time, and inclination rough sawn stock is the cheapest way out. Look under hardwoods in the phone book. I'm sure there will be at least one. They will also probably have S2S stock and/or will, for a price, mill the stock to your specs.

In tracking the price of what few hardwoods are available at Lowes or Home Depot they are invariably twice the cost of what it costs me at my favorite supplier. BUT, that is comparing wood milled and pretty much ready to be cut to size, jointed, glued up, and finished at the home store against rough cut stock from my supplier.

However the prices you quoted don't sound way out of line but it is hard to tell since the prices of wood can vary a great deal depending on regional availability and local and national demand. Costs for non domestic woods also has to include trucking from however far away the ports of entry are. That can really give you a throw down when price comparing..

In other words, if you need X species of wood you make some calls to whatever suppliers are in your area and find out what the going rate is, and that can change as often as weekly. What you may pay there, most likely is NOT what someone else may pay elsewhere on the same day.

Reply to
Mike G

Don't ignore ebay, there's some great stuff in there. I have bought lots of board feet in there ans you can really get some good stuff!

Just take care to factor the shipping charge into the cost and you're there!

Reply to
gabriel

Howdy neighbor. The WoodCraft prices don't seem out-of-line, but I'd really suggest you go to woodfinder.com and search for a local hardwood supplier. It will blow you away the first time you go to one. The amount of wood and the variety and the sizes will be vastly different than what you've seen at HD/Lowes/WoodCraft. Plus, the smell of the wood and the feeling you get that you're actually a woodworker vs shopping at a mall is an added plus.

-- Larry C in Auburn WA

Reply to
Larry C

Larry C,

I live up in Edmonds and was wondering who you use here in the Seattle area as your wood supplier?

Thanks

Reply to
D Smith