Wood for projects:

Hello group. I get a lot of my wood for projects from furniture that has been tossed in the garbage . I have gotten maple , walnut , oak and other pricey woods in the form of dressers, headboards, desks etc. People just don,t seem to know the value of wood anymore.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Sounds like a great neighborhood. Where I live, it's melamine. Frankly, I don't think I have even seen any real wood being tossed.

Reply to
Pat

I hear you. I bought an old solid oak dresser for $50.00 even though the paint job was in very poor condition. I thought that this was my chance to learn finishing! Halfway through the stripping process I started to get burned out and thought "I got taken for my money!!!". However I then saw how much single planks of oak cost (as much at $50 for a single 1"x12"x8' plank)! After that I realized that I got a great deal, regardless how much work would be needed to fix it up. It was really breathtaking when I got to the top of the unit and ever slide of the stripper revealed beatiful grain hidden for years.

Reply to
David

Rarely does anyone around here throw out furniture, in any conition--but they do sell it for cheap at garage sales, which is almost as good.

A lot of folks talk about salvaging wood from pallets. Maybe I lack the finesse in disassembling the things, but I can't get the thinnner crosspieces off without ending up with a bunch of useless splinters (even if I cut them off rather than trying to pull those ring-shanked nails), and the heavy "skid" pieces are usually warped or bowed or both.

On top of that, most of them seem to be made of pine--none of the oak or other hardwood that folks report finding. :P

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

I hear you on the burn out part, I'm refinishing a china cabinet I got at a estate sale in June of 2003 for $110, solid Oak, very nice, but the previous owners had tried to refinish it with a cherry stain, long story short, I needed to sand the entire thing to clean it up. the bottom is done and in the house, the top is now stained and just needs to be finished, I am never refinishing an piece of furniture larger than an end table again, the wood may cost more but I would much rather build it myself

as far as recover> I hear you. I bought an old solid oak dresser for $50.00 even though the

Reply to
Richard Clements