Woodcraft Store

On 6 Apr 2005 14:11:00 -0700, the inscrutable "Gerald" spake:

One definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results." It's time to try something different, don't you think, Gerald? How about something more daring?

Call The Japan Woodworker at 1-800-537-7820 and ask for the Razor Saw (for hardwood) as advertised in FWW at $25.95, delivered. then

Dovetail a Drawer" is the Frank Klausz classic about handcutting dovies. $14.95 VHS or $17.95 DVD.

For $45 or so + a bit of time, you'll learn a new skill AND have a valuable new tool to show for it.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

TEF responds:

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking From: "TEF" - Find messages by this author Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:19:37 -0400 Local: Wed, Apr 6 2005 4:19 pm Subject: Re: Woodcraft Store Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

I don't get it. It would appear that many of the responder to this thread have some vested interest in Woodcraft. There seems to be all kinds of

justifications put forth as to why this store fails to have what Gerald

wants to purchase. Some are even critical of the guy for not calling ahead. As I understand it, Woodcraft is a specialty store for the woodworking community. Therefore, to say that stocking a dovetail jig is something

extraordinary seems to be an odd defense.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Especially before the second or third trip, after being disappointed before!!

Reply to
alexy

I've been to your store a couple times. The last sales dood that helped me was indeed very nice. Had a devil of a time finding the place. I'll bet that Dead End sign does nothing for business. And the traffic...is almost Chicago-like.

Reply to
Hax Planks

A nice gesture, but does not always solve the problem. If I want something shipped and ca wait a few days, I'll probably do it from home and the Lee Valley web page. Part way through a project I find I need a new widget, or the bandsaw blade breaks, I usually want it NOW.

In the case of the dovetail jig, it is a purchase that usually has been thought about for a while and a few extra day makes no difference. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Phisherman

Probably a valid assumption. And what do you conclude from that statement and the fact that they do draw a lot of business? I would conclude that maybe Gerald's experience was unfortunate, but not validly generalizable to "they don't stock anything."

That's silly. Gerald didn't say that they didn't have any dovetail jigs, just the particular make and model he wanted. If I go to the grocery store, I expect them to have breakfast cereal. If they don't have the 1.65-oz size of Postlogg honey-oat bran squares with raspberry filling and splenda sweetening that I was looking for, I don't claim that the grocery store doesn't stock anything!

Reply to
alexy

*snip*

Yea...although I can certainly understand how frustrations can build up until one has to vent. Coincidentally, I was listening to a CD of one of my favorite saterical philosophers, Tom Lehrer, the other day, and, was reminded of what became one of my favorite sayings after I stole it from him years ago. He was talking about one of the great thinkers he had run across, and, said that, just before the fellow had been taken away to the Home for the Terminally Confused, he had opined that "Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends pretty much on what you put into it". regards Dave Mundt

P.S. In an odd twist, as I write this, I happened to surf into C-SPAN2, and, was interested to see that a speech by the infamous Ward Churchill was on. He does have some anger issues, it sounds like...and DOES like to focus in on the failings of humanity to the exclusion of everything else. DCM

Reply to
Dave Mundt

... snip

I liked his satirical songs like "Nicoloi Ivanovitch Lobachevski", a testament to mis-spent years listing to the Dr. Demento show I guess.

If their aims weren't so destructive, you could almost pity people like Churchill; one can almost be assured that he has very little joy in his life, or that what little joy he finds is in tearing down what others have worked so hard to build up.

Mark & Juanita