WoodCraft is back in Tulsa

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last August has reopened in a new location. I was driving down the street yesterday and saw the sign, so I had to stop and see. It is mostly open, although it is still a work in progress. They are still working on the show room, they don't even have price tags on the shelves. But they are 'open'.

The new place is a short distance east of the old location on

41st ST. I think it may be a better location. It is bigger, which will be nice. It also faces out on the street rather than being tucked back in a shopping center. People driving by will be able to see it, after all that is what I did.

I was very good. I managed to wander all over the store and kept my hands behind my back and didn't buy anything.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

did they add a tornado shelter maybe for members only

seriously though i wonder how insurance actuaries handle insurance for places like this

i would guess that the odds are low that the same location would get hit twice

so is insurance higher if they move to a new location

Reply to
Electric Comet

members since when did woodcraft have members

that would be a false logic if anything the odds are higher that any location will get hit by a tornado once it has been

almost certainly its a larger store

Reply to
krw

Electric Comet on Thu, 4 Jan 2018

08:53:04 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

One would think so. But, like the cliche that lightening never strikes twice in the same place - the reality is that often there isn't anything left after the first strike. Same goes for tornadoes. I was told that the Air Force Base in Salina Kansas had a tornado come through and tear the front off the commissary. A year later, another tornado tore the front off the repairs.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

In 2015 a co-worker bought a condo in a waterfront property in Myrtle Beach, SC. The plan was for it to be a vacation spot and income property. During the first year, he didn't rent it out because he was fixing up his unit.

In 2016 Hurricane Matthew caused enough flood damage to the building that everyone had to move out while they gutted the first floor and rebuilt. There were a lot of delays due to code upgrades and insurance issues.

In 2017, before they had even completed the repairs, Tropical Storm Irma hit and flooded the place again.

My coworker has made no income from the property and has been paying to vacation in other places. Not his best investment idea.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

One of the first things that happened to actually give forecasters some kind of warning of tornadoes was at an air base here in Oklahoma. The same thing happened there, and when they checked their instruments they found that they got the same readings. The first time such an event happened so they could get good readings.

This was back before they had all the neat instrumentation they have now.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Second thoughts. It wasn't a year it was just a short time, maybe a week. That was why they noticed the similarity between the readings before both of the tornadoes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Bill Gill on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 21:58:23 -0600 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Science: take notes, and repeat the experiment. Compare the data.

Kind of hard on the test subjects. B-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I should mention that this event was prior to 1959 - I would have been 3 at the time)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A good "idea" - but one that didn't work out as planned. B-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

there is more to lightning and location

the geology can play a role in strike location that is to say that the composition of the soil and even subsurface are significant

there is tornado alley in oklahoma so they do repeat so maybe actuaries base on wide areas and the exact location is not factored

have seen hurricane proof dwellings but not sure if there are tornado proof dwellings

maybe tornado resistant

Reply to
Electric Comet

I think this