woodburners tell all

was looking at some wood burning tools that are meant for that purpose and no ohter

but they are expensive

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

if you use a real one what do you think of it

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just make some finer pointed bits myself

Reply to
Electric Comet

I have an older Detail Master:

It works fine ... My skills don't equal the potential of my system.

The modern units have solid state controls. You can't get the same subtle regulation with soldering irons. Also, you can get a wide range of pens for various effects.

Reply to
joeljcarver

I have a dandy one that I bought back in October of last year. Strictly hardwood burning and not intended for burning either softwoods or the manufactured woods like flooring, MDF, and or OSB. It is specifically designed to work on the more common woos like oak, apple, walnut, hickory, maple, cherry etc.

Are they expensive? That would be a personal choice as to what you consider expensive. I bought a top of the line model and I could not be happier, money well spent and no looking back at all. I found that you could spend up to 4 or 5 times more for a great one over an entry level model. I certainly did a lot of research before plunking down the mula. Mine IIRC has a 5 or so year warranty and again IIRC 2 years on the electronic parts. I wish it came in Festool Green. ;~)

The one I use is certainly real, it is a model made by Memphis, the Pro model. It actually feeds the wood to the heating area.

I would not recommend using a soldering iron, they heat up much too slowly and they really don't heat the wood up like you would need.

Here it is,

;~)

Reply to
Leon

So, it engraves your signature on all the steaks you cook?

;)

Reply to
Swingman

they went out of business but will look for that brand on ebay

the units i looked at had some videos and some of the work that was done was artistic and fine

very high quality work

Reply to
Electric Comet

You cheaped out!

I went with the Elite built in and installed it just like normal folk do. Stop by if you're in the area.

(I wish!)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Our new parallel line logo. :-)

Reply to
Leon

We looked at the larger unit but really did not need anything that big. At Thanksgiving we cooked a 22 pound bird and >10 pounds of brisket on it for about 16 people. The bird was perfect. And we found out that built in is not for us. We get a pretty good southern and northern breeze at different times of the year, that makes grilling with the open flame difficult. The cool wind blows and cools the temp probe which in turn confuses the start cycle and often fools the grill onto thinking that the fire is not hot enough. The simple solution is turn the grill 180 degrees. After talking to the Memphis Tech rep about this he offered that suggestion and to heat the unit to 450 with the closed smoking insert and then swapping to the flavorizer insert and changing to one of the OF settings.

Reply to
Leon

more htan a few sites have recommended razertip but they are not cheap

also found full digital control soldering irons for cheap but need to see if the nice wood bruning tips will connect to the soldering units

have a feeling they are incompatible

dreadful vendor lock in you know

Reply to
Electric Comet

I only posted a picture of half my patio. I also built a mirror image of the space. I don't have to turn the built in, I just move the food to the other unit if the wind shifts direction.

When I'm lazy, I simply buy twice as much food as I need, cook half on each and don't concern myself with the wind. You can solve just about any problem if you throw enough money at it. ;-)

I used to have an issue with my son not being around when I needed him, so I solved that issue in a similar manner.

DerbyDad03

LOL... There you go!

Reply to
Leon

What does the Fe in Festool stand for? ;p

Reply to
OFWW

I use a single Razertip that I got off eBay, used. Love and prefer it to any other I have tried. I particularly like RT pens and layout of the burners. Their warranty and support is the best.

I also have a brand new Colwood Cub with two new pens sitting in my drawer. Colwood makes good units and pens and their warranty and service is good. Their pens are decent but I don't care for their pens near as much as RazerTip.

I tried and liked an Optima but since I got the RT at such a great price, it was a no-brainer. Decent warranty, meh service. Once caveat is their boxes are plastic, so careful where you put your hot pen.

I don't like Detailmaster. Any burners with metal pens are silly imo.

If you are burning part-time or low usage, I'd recommend the Colwood Cub. For more serious burning, the RT, hands-down.

If you want a soldier like burner, check out the Walnut Hollow Versa Tool, the one with the interchangeable tips and temp control. Great little burner for $25-$30 dollars.

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

it is pricey will have to look for a real good price though

i have looked at them

don't think i know the optimas

they are out of business and the website that was posted earlier is a scam/fishing website taking orders and charging credit cards but shipping nothing

good info to have

this one i have not heard of but need to check that

Reply to
Electric Comet

Fe refers to Iron in the periodic table. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yes the are pricey. I got lucky and bought mine off eBay. It was from an estate sale. Said it was used but I found nothing to indicate that when it arrived. I got the single burner unit, 4 pens, 2 wires and a tip cleaner, all for $120 including shipping.Some peeps don't like eBay but I can say I have gotten some great things off eBay with a little patience.

I usually find them for sale at shows but they are sold online and often on eBay.

I didn't realize they went out of business. We have a dedicated duck carver in our carving guild who has one. His backup/portable is a Colwood Cub.

You can find these on Amazon or in Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Most hobby type stores carry some of Walnut Hollow's products.

A couple good info sites on the web that might interest you...

Good luck!

Reply to
Casper

the price is good and i was reminded that i can use it to cut foam board also

will check those sites you mention

Reply to
Electric Comet

peep = people (multiple)

Like going to the grocery store right before Easter and finding yourself surrounded by all the ... 'peeps'.

Reply to
Casper

Grammar Nazi: "s" is therefore redundant. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

...except that Casper was incorrect.

Peep is singular, peeps is multiple. As far as I know peeps was used way before peep.

Etymology 4

Back-formation from peeps, a shortened form of people.

Noun peep (plural peeps)

(UK, slang) person.

Reply to
DerbyDad03