Wood motorcycle "saddlebags"?

Thu, Sep 18, 2003, 6:42pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ravenfield.com (Steve) writes: Spare a thought for the Brits this week.

Some wonderful and irreplaceable machines gone forever.

Major bummer.

JOAT Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 15 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Not just Brits, but bikers everywhere. I few years back I was traveling to London every other week for a few months. I usually had a day to myself when I arrived and I always wanted to make the Bike museum one of my daytrips. I was always sorry that I didn't once my traveling came to an end. Now I am regret it even more.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

I saw a pair of wood saddlebags on a HD here in Tri-Cities Washington. They looked GOOD...

I was thinking making some of side panels of thin plywood, then use steam-shaped veneer around top/front/rear/bottom. Epoxy them all together. Then wrap them in leather so I have leather "hard bags".

As for durability? Have you seen the stock plastic saddle bags on the Internet for sale after being down on the pavement? Not pretty, but they still want $800 a pair after they've been thrashed...

I would say go for it if you haven't yet. The set I saw on the HD looked like red cedar or redwood...

O-B-1

Reply to
O-B-1

I have made a set for my vtx 1300 and auto clear is best.. hold up to vibrations vary well and have had them on the bike for 3 years I would post a pic but will not let me

Reply to
tom.johnson7280

You can post photos to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The best and easiest method is to use imgur,just put the jpg into imgur and post the resultant URL,bit of learning curve but it is not hard.

Reply to
F Murtz

replying to Rico, Gwyllem wrote: I came upon a child of God...

Reply to
Gwyllem

...was he walking along the road?

Spalted Walt

I thinking same. Wood, especially real pine wood is good for the manufacturing saddlebags. Vibrating not harm real wood - no veneer.

Reply to
Moto69

(Yes, I know this is an old thread)

I have a friend that is a wizard with fiberglass from shaping to painting. He made a set of saddlebags out of fiberglass for his Harley. They looked similar to these, more from a wood look perspective than the shape.

I used to work with him on Soap Box Derby cars, mainly 2 person cars set up so that able-bodied drivers could take handicapped kids down the hill. Lots of wood and fiberglass work.

He designed a spring loaded steering and brake system so that the handicapped person sitting in front could control the car but the driver in the back could take over both steering and braking if need be. It didn't matter what the front person did, the rear system automatically took over if used, even while the front was still being "used". It was a thing of beauty.

Sometimes we'd let newbie able-bodied people sit in front after showing them how to steer and brake but without telling them about the override system. We'd sit in the back and then take over the steering halfway down the hill. It was fun watching them panic as they tried to control the car and it just wouldn't do anything they wanted it to.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just make sure they can survive hitting the road at speed.

Reply to
J. Clarke