Help?

Hey guys and gals!

Hope all is well with you all.

I am moving into a new apartment in a couple of weeks, the apartment has a small balcony that I wanted to make the most of. I was thinking about growing some herbs and maybe some vegetables. I live in Birmingham UK and wanted to know if anyone had any tips/suggestions/hints etc. I have never done this sort of thing but am very interested in starting to make use of my new space.

I was thinking of getting a couple of balcony boxes that hang from the railings and maybe a floor one - not to sure yet as I want to make the most of the space (maybe a couple of chairs too!)

Any particular herbs and/or vegetables that are good to grow on a balcony? Any ideas how to get started etc.

Sorry this seems a bit like 'oh here's another newbie wanted all the answers!' but I just wanted somewhere to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Reply to
SamM3124

Get a few larger boxes not many small ones, they will not dry out so fast. Drying out is always a problem with small containers, even in your miserable summer you will have to watch your watering. Which way does the balcony face? Try to expose your plants to the sun but protect from the wind.

Your winter is too cool and dark to grow much well, some things might survive but hardly prosper. You might get some hardy perenial herbs to over-winter or some brassicas to grow but I wouldn't try as a first effort. Some herbs and annuals like lettuce, chard, parsley etc that don't require much sun will be OK in summer and possibly longer. I would start with the best candidates and maybe try fruiting veges (tomatoes) next year as these could be a disappointment.

Go to the local library and get some books on container gardening, preferably in a cool climate.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

FIrst question is do you have a southern exposure? If not, what do you have?

Reply to
Billy

Hii .. I've only been reading here some recently and I hope it's OK for me to respond to your question even though it's my first post here.

I've been doing some organic container gardening, too. If you wanted to grow something in cool spring to warm (not hot) summer, green peas (snap peas or sweet peas) grow well in pots. You can put in a wire trellis for them to grow up, and if it's a big pot you can plant then on the back side of a large planter and then plant something else in front of them like onions, or patio type tomatoes.

Prepare the soil with bagged potting soil + about 1/3 of bagged composted manure. You can companion plant many things together like that, you just have to make sure you don't forget to water the containers regularly. :D

Reply to
Natural Girl