Wood motorcycle "saddlebags"?

Hi,

I am thinking of combining my two hobbies; woodworking and motorcycling, by making some wood "saddlebags" for my motorcycle (2003 Suzuki Volusia). Has anyone ever done this, seen this, or even heard of this being done? I'm looking for some design ideas and suggestions. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan Austin, TX

Reply to
dan

Not a pretty sight when you drop it in the parking lot.

Reply to
MSH

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I think durability would be a real problem. Not so much from impact, but from the constant vibration of the bike shaking them apart. Maybe if you glass them real good?

OTOH. How about starting with OTS fiberglass ones and applying veneer?

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I'd do it if my main focus was to look like a total DORK! You are trolling, aren't you, Danny boy??

dave

dan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

That's just waaaaaaayyy to easy.

Reply to
Sam Krenov

On 16 Sep 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

I have never seen a kettle so black.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Tue, Sep 16, 2003, 7:12pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave) burbled: You are trolling, aren't you, Danny boy??

If he'd said Harley, I'd agree. But since he said he Suzuki, he's probably sincere.

But it can, and has, been done.

JOAT Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 15 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

I figured what the Hell, and did a bit of looking. I actually found a picture of an off-road Suzuki with something like what was wanted, except I don't know if they're wood or not.

is a non-prophet organization.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 15 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Dan, I would consider leather/wood combinations Rand Spring, Tx.

Reply to
rand stockman

I shudder to think of wooden saddlebags on my long-since-sold Gold Wing! Yikes!

dave

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dan,

Don't let the naysayers discourage you (especially BAD). It could look really good if done right! And PLEASE post pictures if you do it

- there are other rider/woodworkers out here.

-Chris

(Remember, a dork on a bike is still cooler than anyone in a car!)

Reply to
Chris

Dan, don't let Chris make a BAD idea seem palatable...

:)

dave

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

OTOH, he asked for input and he should hear the negatives. I know my plastic BMW saddlebags take a real beating. I'd hate to put a fine wood project through what my bags go through. Depends on his riding habits and needs.

M Hamlin

Reply to
MSH

I came upon a BMW with factory saddle bags lying on it's side on one of it's saddle bags on a twisty road one day.

After I helped the owner get the bike upright and off the road, we inspected the damage. A minor scuff on the grouded saddlebag and some minor scrapes on the rest of the bike.

I still think some nice wooden bags would be a neat idea for the person who wants them.

Dick

If it has two wheels and makes you smile, it's a good bike. That must be why so many Harley riders scowl.

Reply to
Rico

to go along with the wooden saddlebags, perhaps he could try his hand at turning some lovely custom wheels? Would oak be up to the task...say top speeds of 100MPH, a couple of wheelies a week? and a nice wooden seat to park his keister on...

dave

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

So a dipshit who can't even figure out how to make a drawer is criticizing what someone else wants to do?

Let me guess - you already made the wheels but you forgot the spokes?

Reply to
Sam.Krenov

Take a look here for inspiration...

Not saddlebags, but quilts, caps, and jackets made from wood. A must see.

Leon

Spare a thought for the Brits this week.

wonderful and irreplaceable machines gone forever.

Steve

Reply to
Steve