Free PT wood, or skip?

Hi all...first post here. I'm just starting out in woodworking, bought some tools, built my first workbench couple of days ago (somewhat badly), and I'm looking towards my next project.

Now, I was told yesterday that my girlfriend's father's girlfriend (yeah, I know) has some leftover PT lumber from her newly-built deck.

From what I've been reading about PT lumber, the stuff that the treat

it with is nasty stuff, even after the 2003 change from arsenic-based stuff to whatever they're using now.

So my question to the group is, do I offer to take this wood and use it to build outdoor furniture & items, or am I better off skipping on it and going towards untreated cedar or others?

Thanks! -Dan

Reply to
Dan W.

Depends on the dimensions.. if it is cut off and scrap, I would skip it. If it is good size, (4' or longer), I would certainly take it. Never know when you might need some for an exterior project...

Reply to
Locutus

Personally, I would take it but only after seeing it and deciding if it was in usable lengths. Lots of times people offer stuff for free, when what they really want, is someone to haul it away for free.

Reply to
lwasserm

Wed, Sep 20, 2006, 8:31am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aboveground.com (Dan=A0W.) use it to build outdoor furniture

For furniture, dog houses, etc. - NO.

JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.

Reply to
J T

I'd take it. First of all, you're just starting out- so free wood is the best wood. If you make a mistake, you didn't just wreck a $30 piece of cedar. Second, PT wood is just fine for outdoor furniture- I made a park bench a while back and used 4x4 treated posts for the legs. Took glue, machining, lamination, carving and mortising just fine, and made a nice finished bench. Just let completed pieces sit for a good long time (six months or better) before painting or staining. They can do that sitting outside, no problem. I'd leave the PT wood out of areas that you'll be sitting on or setting food on, but it's fine for the main support structure. And third, it makes great planter boxes, edging for gardens or patios, and shims.

Just don't leave it in contact with exposed skin for long periods of time, and wear a paper mask or respirator when cutting or sanding if you don't have adequate ventilation.

Reply to
Prometheus