Does it much matter where I put my air filter?

Getting tired of having everything covered with dust, and seeing the Jet air filter at Amazon for $165, I bought one. Now where to put it...

My "shop" is about 10'x25'. All the dust making tools are at one end. However, the other end has some ductwork and beams so if I put it there I wouldn't loose much in the way of headroom as it it lost already. So; I presume it would be most effective to put it nearer the tools, but most space efficient on the other side.

Does it make enough difference that I should sacrifice the head room?

My son is not looking forward to holding it up while I screw it in place. (At long last he is becoming useful.)

Reply to
Toller

Ratchet straps.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Just a thought

Faced with a similar dilemma I put mine right over top of the table saw

1> Figured I would not mind the loss of head room over the saw 2> Figured I would not be cutting anything 4-5ft tall on the table saw (anything that would need the headroom)

its been a year since I installed it and it appears to be a good decision.

Reply to
eric

Mine's homemade but I came to the same conclusion. It's been over the saw for years. Worked out fine.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There are water pipes over my table saw, so I will have to drop it down a bit to clear them; but it is probably the best solution. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Just to throw a contrarian viewpoint in here, I put mine up near the workbench on the rationale that the workbench was the most likely place I would be sanding with an ROS and also running the router, thus the idea was to put the air cleaner as close to the big dust generators as possible. Thus far, I have not had any interference problems.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Consider turning it and hanging it on the wall. That's what I've done with my homebuilt filter system.

gary a

Reply to
Gary

With a 10'x25' shop, I used up all the wall space a long time ago.

Reply to
Toller

That makes it about 2,000 cubic feet to filter. Not a lot. My garage is 20 x

20, and I use a smaller filter. It's near the tablesaw, but it filters a lot of air quickly. My guess is you put it anywhere, as long as the exhaust can return the air reasonably well, and you will get a lot of air changes from it.
Reply to
DarylRos

my outfeed table is my assembly table. I often unload assemblies over the saw top. sometimes they're tall. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

What would happen if it were to have the exhaust going outside? Setup like bathroom vents.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

On a nice day it would be fine. Today (5 degrees) it would be like having all my windows open; a real bad idea.

Reply to
Toller

I think it would work best if you put in in MY shop . . .

;>)

I use a Rigid 6hp vacuum, with hoses running to all the dust makers. I also use the Rigid portable air filter: I place it near the dustmaker that is in use. If I'm using sanding attachments on the drill press, I put it there. If I'm hand-sanding a cedar-top guitar (nasty stuff) I put it next to the guitar. I developed asthma from NOT practicing safe sanding, and I am now pretty keen about keeping the shop clean; just a whiff of cedar or mahogany dust will set me off (I now take an antihistamine, and wear a mask, if I plan to work with these woods)

The filter you just bought would hang nicely in my shop, and I may get one just like it (can't be too clean, right?). I saw a good article about filter placement, but don't recall where. Basically, consider air-flow patterns in your shop, and visualize what the patterns will be with different filter orientations. For me, I would point the intake towards the main dustmaking corner of the shop. However, my workbench where I hand-sand guitars, etc. is at the other end, so my portable filter would be the main catcher there. And since any new ceiling filter would be blowing air onto my workbench, I would either turn it around, or leave it off while sanding at the bench.

Cheers,

Scott

Reply to
Scott

I'd try to put it as close to the center of the shop. My air filter doubles as a sanding table, and it's on wheels.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have a Delta air filter plus a home make unit I made with a furnace cage blower ....

The Delta I mounted near the ceiling on one end of my 24x24 shop and the homemade unit sits on the floor under a workbench on the side opposite of the shop...

All I can tell you that they both need the filters changed alot......really can not say which is in the better place...just looking at the external filters I can not say which is picking up more dust...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G