dust collector how'd I live without it

I received the Delta AP400 dust collector this morning I ordered from Amazon. Couldn't wait to get home and play. Usually between the jointer, planer and table saw I would usually look like a tree exploded in my shop and all over me. SWMBO had me order it, really twisted my arm. She was tired of the constant mess. It went together easy and for a test I hooked it to the Dewalt 734 planer and ran a few boards through it. Nary a chip on the floor. Heading to WoodCraft in St. Louis next week to get the multi machine kit to get the rest of the tools hooked up. Can't wait.

Reply to
Mike S.

A dust collection system is the most important thing in your workshop if you have power tools. I bought a odel similar to your -- the 2 hp Jet. It gets stuff down to 10 or 5 microns - I don't recall exactly. I also bought the delta ceiling mount unit that gets down to 1 micron (it does not have pipes to the tools).

At my age (50), my respiratory system just can't cope with what it used to could.....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Hello,

I have one of the Delta dust collectors, too, and have been eyeing the ceiling-mounted units.

I was curious if you found the ceiling-mounted units to be of much benefit in keeping the dust down. How much good do they do?

Cheers, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I have one of the JDS units. I use it especially when using a router or sander where the DC doesn't connect to the tool. It helps clear the air faster, but I still wear dust masks when sanding because there is still the time the dust travels from the tool then through the air cleaner.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

It's not as noticable as the other unit but it will freshen the air in about 30 minutes. I got it because it's the tiny 1 micron particles that are most hazardous to the lungs. After a day of table sawing and routing, there will be a thin film of dust on everything but it won't be nearly as bad as before I had the unit.

I work in a large three car garage. So I really should have two of these units but you know the story.... there's never enough money.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Thanks for the feedback. It's very helpful.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

===================================== =====================================

Honestly how do you define "Most Important" or Important in what way? Walls are important too.

My Dad and Grandfather both were serious woodworkers and neither had Dust Collectors in their shop... Both smoked, drank and enjoyed life..(wink wink) and both lived to their late 80's...

Like you I installed DC's and air filters in my shop when I was in my early 50's.... (I am now 64) But I did NOT install them to save my lungs etc... I installed them to have a cleaner and neater shop...because I enjoy working in a clean shop and was about to have lots of time (close to retirement) to spend relaxing in my shop

I always hear hot important DC and filters are for "our" health but rarely do I hear anyone singing their prases because they keep the shop cleaner and neater ...

Just my opinion...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I agree. I run a one man shop and got tired of wading through and cleaning up shavings etc, like 6 bags a day. The cyclone makes life a lot easier. On the other hand do not have as many 'ebony boogers' (lovely description - think it came from Renata)

Reply to
Phil Hansen

That's serious Woodworking, when you're crapping wood pellets. I hear they make good firewood. :)

Reply to
Bill Stock

That is the only reason I bought mine. I ingest enough crap at work that I figure the few hours dust a week from wood dorking is not what will kill me! The other day I spent a hour hacking my lungs out from crawling around in a damp, moldy crawl space. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Problem is, it will be the combination that will likely get you. All these hazards--added together over a few years with the wood dust from power tools--eventually will play havoc with your(my, our)lungs. We didn't evolve in dusty, moldy shop/crawl spaces (might be the same place for some of us--:), so our lungs don't have the capacity to fend off these insults on a sustained daily basis. It's just not wise to be all macho about this.

By all means, let's work in clean shops, but keeping our lungs clean is a priority--I hear you can get replacements, but they cost a mint and come used.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore
.

I hear you Dan..

But in my case the number 1 priority was a cleaner shop....Any health benifits I achive by using the dust collector is an added plus...

Any yes I do appreciate the health benifits.... but not nearly as much as I appreciate the pure pleasure of having a neat and clean shop in which to unwind...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Good point(s).