Delta AP300 Dust Collector

I am planning to purchase Delta AP300 portable Dust Collector. This is 3/4 HP, unit 550 CFM,air flow.I will be using mainly for my Table saw.might be for planner.

Anyone has experience with this unit ? Will this unit satisfy my needs ? Currently I am using Shop-Vac. I am sure this unit will be more efficient.

Thanks

Before you buy anything, invest some time at Bill Pentz's dust-collection website. You'll go into information overload if you're not careful, but there is a lot of important information on that site. Bill nearly died from the effects of wood dust and designed an exceptional cyclone system based on solid science. At his invitation, I now manufacture cyclone kits based on his design as well as matching blower housings. They are well received all over North America. Bill's site is at

the kit and blower info is at

10" table saw needs most of 1000 "real-world-in-your-shop" CFM to get the fine dust out of your face, and only a high-enough-CFM cyclone can really keep the air you breathe free of the fine flour-like dust that is so dangerous to your long-term health (worse than tobacco smoke ever thought of being and I don't smoke -- never have).

Some people think cyclones are expensive (they aren't cheap), but compared to a new Kirby, Rainbow, or IEC household vacuum cleaner, a complete system based on this kit and blower housing is cheap! And the CFM will blow you away (well, not quite, but it does kick up a ruckus). And the reports I'm getting back from people who have their kits up and running indicate that it is QUIET! compared to the imported units they used before.

If you need more info, contact me privately.

Clarke

J wrote:

Reply to
Clarke Echols

The brother-in-law bought one and ended up taking it back for lack of power. However I might point out that I feel he was stretching its limits somewhat. He only had it hooked to his table saw and router table but the silly man has the thing 25ft away! I thought this was way too much for the rated CFM of this unit. He ended up finding a used cyclone unit and now he actually has a better system in his weekend warrior hobbyshop than I do in my shop. Lucky bastard!

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

I looked at this unit and though this was a little too small. But I didn't have the money or the space for cyclone. So I droped and extra fifty dollars and got the AP400 at Lowes. 1 hp 650 CFM's. I'm only using it with one machine at a time. Just built a new miter sation with a downdraft hood. hooked up the DC with about 6 feet of pipe and it works like a dream. Sucks all the dust right down. I'm going to get my TS hooked up this weekend.

I also bought the AP100 Ambiant air filter/light. It really helps out getting the rest of the dust in my small 15 x 12 shop.

Reply to
Ben

Clarke Echols solicited...

Clarke

At some point I'd like to convert my system to a cyclone from the traditional top and bottom bag design. Although I love my American Fabric Filter 1 mic bags, they still require maintenance to keep them "uncaked" and I believe I can use a cyclone and cartridge filter to achieve even better collection of fine particles.

My question is, can I use the existing 2HP motor (12amp, 230v) to power a cyclone similar to the one you build so I don't need a new motor?

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

"James D Kountz"

Seems the short hose, portable concept is a strength of the AP300. Sure, way underpowered for a large network of pipes, but it's not made for that.

I took mine and actually cut the 10 ft hose down to 6 or 7 feet for better flow and to keep extra hose from flopping around. I have a very small workspace. Seems fine for the Unisaw - though of course stuff is going to fly out from the blade area without some sort of local suction over a guard. I don't think trippling the CFM down at the bottom of the machine is going to change that - anybody? Seems that's why everyone recommends an air cleaner.

I'll bet this thing with a 7 foot hose on 1 machine is pretty competetive with something 3+ times as powerful, but choked down by a large pipe network to several machines.

Anybody ever take some measurements of a "typical" network to see how much CFM is lost between the machine and the main collector? Maybe tons of info is out there, just that I haven't seen it...

- Nate

Reply to
Nate B

Ben wrote

Just built a new miter sation with a downdraft hood.

Please elaborate. I have yet to connect my mitre saw to my DC system. I have a stub run down from the overhead line but haven't gotten any farther.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE