Re: Unisaw Question(s)

jsm wrote:

> >>I have restored a little-used UNISAW that was manufactured in the early >>60s'. I've put on new fence as well as a 3 hp Baldor motor. The Baldor >>sticks out about 6" past the edge of the cabinet which means I can only tilt >>the blade ~ 15 degrees. Is there any solution to this problem other than >>getting out my jig saw and cutting a larger hole in the side of the case >> > >Solution 1) Find an older 3/4 to 1 horse >repulsion/induction motor. > >Solution 2) Read this article. Pay close attention the >last portion more than the first. > >
>>and if I do that, will the 'motor shroud' for the newer Unisaws cover the >>opening completely? >> > >I would suspect so onna 'count of the cover was made for a 3 >horse saw. > >>Also - is there an efficient way to dust collect from this machine other >>than hanging a shroud (from the ceiling) over the blade area? >> > >Remove the dust door. Make a new dust door from MDF and fit >it with a hose. Use rare earth magnets to keep it all in >place. > >The real crux of the biscuit is getting up close to the >blade with your collector hose. You can jury rig this by >attaching an inlet to the chip deflector but there's a wee >bit of injineering to be done to make it usable at all angle >settings. Word on the street is there's a Nobel available >for the first guy to do it and a Pulitzer for the guy that >does the write up. > >Also, you can port the saw through the big boxy motor cover. > >UA100 >
Reply to
Jamie Norwood

Thanks for the good ideas. I'll check out the size of the motor shroud. Changing the motor is not an option now that I'm used to the 3hp.

Steve

Reply to
jsm

Excellent choice!

  1. In one box you get the saw itself;
  2. the table saw iron extensions. 3. a third one contains the Unifence
Reply to
John Galea

I'm happy to hear this. Leaves the vintage repulsion/inductions with one less person trying to rub their nose oils on them.

UA100, who does have a spare bullet end motor on hand

*just in case*...
Reply to
Unisaw A100

It's a bit of a bugger to get it equipped for DC .

I cut a 16"*4" hole in the bottom of the base on the RHS and fitted a standard sheet metal reqister piece [from 4" duct to 16"*4"from Home depot].Attached was a 4" flexible duct to the DC system.

On the inside of the base I made two ply ramps that angled down to the exit described above .So any dust slides down the ramps and into the exit .I did two because a single one is too big to fit inside the base ,I sealed any gap between the two with duct tape as I did with the intersection of the duct piece and the base hole

I sealed the semicircular hole at the front which houses the blade height adjustment with shop rags because at times it needs to be avaiable so the blade can be angled . where the top attaches to the base the holes there were sealed with"STUFF" the foaming sealant that hardens.

Finally I caulked where the base meets the shop floor....all in all it works quite well.

Almost forgot, the dust door at the front was replaced with a solid ply door.

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

[...]

Thanks Mike - that is a great idea. I may have to rethink this thing again before I attack it. Like you, I have sealed the semi-circular hole for the blade tilt-track as well as around the table edges and around the base. I've put a piece of thin ply on the inside of the vent door. I'm going over to Rockwell tomorrow to check out their motor shroud. You are right. It is a bugger to DC.

Steve

Reply to
jsm

Mind picking me up a list of parts and bringing them back to the future with you?

UA100, working on a "Go Back In Time" machine...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

OK...DELTA ...feel better?

Reply to
jsm

yes

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

The standard new motor shroud fits fine , thats the one I used, just make sure when you fit it that the motor is fully angled .

By the way, when I made enquiries to Delta's home office they kindly sent me free a copy of the manual for the saw....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide