Wood ID

I know I could send a sample to the Forest Products Lab in Wisconsin, but since I only have a little left thought I would ask here.

Several years ago, back when Woodcraft still put out their newsprint flyer with supplus wood in it, I bought a 2x2x6 block of they identified as "South African Knowthorn." It is a dense hardwood, brownish grey in color, with no highly pronounced grain. It turns about like "Kingwood" and takes a similar polish. Looks really nice in pens.

Any idea of what this might be?

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I could be wrong but this sounds a lot like South African Knowthorn. ;^)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Correction. A quick google seems to indicate it is S.A. knoBthorn. An Acacia species.

Leguminosae (Fabaceae) Acacia nigrescens

SonomaProducts.com