Who know some newsgroup about wood products (plywood) only ?

Can someone recommend some newsgroup about wood products only ,such as plywood, film faced plywood, blockboard, MDF, fancy plywood, timber/wood and so on ? Thank you very much .

Reply to
Mason Pan

Newsgroups???

Could be a bit thin selections, as newsgroups are bit pass¨¦ compared to moderated Forums...

Try US Department of Ag, Forest Service, Forest Products Lab, Forum...

are some links of interest to elsewhere on this forum.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Nah, he's just interested in spamming his products

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not only sell products, but also exchange views on different market, quality and quality standard , etc. I know a lot more about our plywood but less about the plywood from other countries . Very sorry , my friend .

Reply to
Mason Pan

Newsgroup is a very good place to exchange views with each other

Reply to
Mason Pan

| Nah, he's just interested in spamming his products

So? We have toolmakers, authors, custom woodworkers, wood products manufacturers, fastener folks, and other people whose plugs are usually (but not always) tucked into their sigs - and their contributions have been generally valued.

We all (I'm guessing here) use plywood and I'd guess that most readers don't know enough about it to formulate a meaningful question. Mason could turn out to be a helpful resource.

If he makes plywood, then of course he'd like to sell it. In his shoes, so would I and (I'm fairly sure) so would you.

I've heard Chinese plywood criticized severely here on the wreck - perhaps it would be good to discuss some of the problems with Mason - to find out what to look for, what to avoid, and what kind of stuff lies "over the horizon" that might solve problems...

My two cents.

Morris Dovey

Yes, you used the important word, "CONTRIBUTIONS"

Newsgroups are not sales media or conduit just to sell. How many spammers stare tout with "I just found this great web site" and don't give a damn about anthing buy making money?

I think you are being naive. When he pops in on a plywood discussion and adds meaningful information, I'll agree with you. There have been many postings of offshore sellers of wood and every other damned item with the sole intention of selling. Call me cynical, but I've been right about them

99.9% of the time.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

| I think you are being naive. When he pops in on a plywood | discussion and adds meaningful information, I'll agree with you. | There have been many postings of offshore sellers of wood and every | other damned item with the sole intention of selling. Call me | cynical, but I've been right about them | 99.9% of the time.

Ah - in my naivity I clearly misunderstood. Somehow I'd thought that usenet might be more about information sharing rather than about "being right".

I'll agree with you on the "every other damned item" part.

I bow to your superior "rightness" rating.

-- Morris Dovey

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Thank you, not everyone recognizes that.

You say Usenet is about information sharing. It is. Spammers only share their web addresses so you can buy from them. I'm active in a half dozen newsgroups. I use Outlook Express if that makes a difference, but every spammer from the Orient has their messages open up in the same fixed pitch font, be it selling leather goods, plywood, or penis enlargers. I've yet to see one person using that font actually participate in a conversation. If you want to welcome commercial entities to the newsgroup, so be it, but it is "supposed" to be about sharing, not selling.

All of the others you mentioned do share, often, freely, and with good information. I'll wait for Mr. Plywood to come back with some good information to bestow upon us and I'll not only eat my words, I'll buy us both a beer to wash them down.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Are you using the Breidbart Index as a measurement of Spam/non-spam?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I don't know what that is let alone use it. Hang around newsgroups for a while and you can easily spot the stammers.

I did just Google on Breadboard Index to see what it is. No reason to use fancy math to identify spam.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

But there is. You say a single, short, on-topic mention of a commercial product is spam.

The Breidbart Index says you are wrong, and so do I.

It can be Steve Knight's planes, Ed Bennet's TS Aligner Jr, or anyone else who sells any commercial product that only woodworkers would be interested in.

It's when the advertisement is repeated in a single newsgroup, or posted to wrong newsgroups, that the BI value increases. That's when it becomes spam.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

We can get into a pissing contest over semantics, but the fact is, commercial selling is not supposed to take place in discussion groups on Usenet. He is here for his own benefit, not the benefit of the participants in the group. The others you mention participate on a somewhat regular basis for the benefit of everyone. They feely give their time and knowledge. What has Mr. Plywood added to the group?

Frankly I don't care about the BI value. This is a non-commercial group.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, I was looking for a new place to get 1mm plywood. May he has it. Lou

Reply to
Lou

That's why I used accepted definitions that a majority of the experts use. You see, it's easy to say "That person is from China, therefore his posts are spam."

In truth, he made 6 postings to this forum, and one was a polite question about the forum, three were opinions about the metric system, and the other two were polite responses to comments.

The only advertising he did was putting his website in his signature,

You are not suppose to put the website of your company in your signature? Where does it say that?

His first post expressed interest in exchanging views.

Half of six posts has been opinions the metric system.

Don't get me wrong, I hate spammers, and I really hate Chinese spammers.

But if Mason Pan from China wishes to answer questions about plywood, he's welcome to do so. The very first thing he did was ASK what was appropriate for this forum. I can't criticize him for that.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Thank you very much ! I want to know some newsgroup about wood products (plywood) only ? I hope anyone in these newsgroup can share some information (market , quality standard ) about wood products . Now I think woodweb.com is good (hope to share the website with you , here ).

Reply to
Mason Pan

I'm very happy to hear some criticism about Chinese plywood. If you have met some problems in using Chinese plywood, please kindly post your questions in this group and send some photos for these problems to me . I can give some consultation for you .

Reply to
Mason Pan