Wood ID help?

Anybody have any idea what this is?

Photo doesn't show quite the full width of the board; it's 9+ inches wide, and the photo probably shows between 7 and 8.

The wood has no perceptible odor, dry or damp (which also rules out oaks).

It's hard enough that I can't dent it with a fingernail, and surprisingly lightweight -- suggestive of ash, I suppose, but the grain isn't quite right, and the color is definitely not right, for that. Not heavy enough for oak, and the grain isn't right, either.

I'm located in Indianapolis, and the wood is presumably of more-or-less local origin -- it's been sitting in the corner of a high school wood shop for many years. Likely to be from somewhere in the Midwest, probably central Indiana.

Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ash

Reply to
Leon

Looks like chinaberry, but not sure if it grows there.

Reply to
G Ross

... from this site ?

The 10 x end grain close-up photos are neat. John T.

Reply to
hubops

When in doubt, and really wanting to know, send a bit to the Forest Products Lab in Wi. It will take them a bit to get and answer back, but you will know exactly what you are dealing with. Reclaim some of your tax dollars, because its a "free" service.

Dr. Deb

It looks like ash to me... with perhaps some mineral or other staining on the left (e.g., embedded metal). I've been felling and milling quite a bit of ash the past few years and I've run into staining in some of the logs. The grain varies depending on its orientation in the log when cut...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

+1 on Leon's "ash".
Reply to
Jay Pique

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I guess I should have mentioned that there was a strong light over my left shoulder when I took the photo. That "discoloration" on the left is actually the shadow of the stack of boards to the left of the mystery wood.

I still don't think it's ash -- it looks too yellow.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Leon wrote in news:27925409.540278629.491935.lcb11211- snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

[...]

Maybe... but I don't think so. It's much yellower than any ash I've ever seen.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This is all ash. The drawer fronts are solid ash, the top yellowish panel is ash veneer.

Leon

Take a look at my response below, and the link. I have a picture of a chest I built for my wife's sewing stuff. All natural colored wood is ash.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

suggestive

Actually from woodidentification.net, and from memory (having seen some coffeetree at a lumberyard a few years ago).

Yep. So is the information -- which I missed the first time I read either site -- that coffeetree fluoresces under blacklight. I'll have to see if I can lay my hands on a blacklight.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Leon wrote in news:p-WdndxlA98UQBnHnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Nice work, Leon. Is that black ash?

Reply to
Doug Miller

+2. I have a few hundred bf of it in the basement.
Reply to
krw

Any chance it's butternut, walnut's lighter cousin.

Reply to
woodchucker

I take back the butternut, Osage Orange? It looks it.

woodchucker

Might be have some english walnut here, they grow well in southern Illinois.

Google pictures of the type.

Reply to
Markem

Like teak Osage has a high silca content, it laughs at chain saws.

Reply to
Markem

LOL, AAMOF Black and Red Ash. Good one Doug!

Reply to
Leon

You suck!

Reply to