I want one....

...not sure what I would do with it regularly but that isn't the point!

John Grossbohlin

We had one in the school shop back in the 50's. It was not called a radial arm saw, just the DeWalt.

Reply to
G Ross

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Here's the modern version:

I'm happy just to stick with my little 10" model. Most accurate saw in the shop!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I went to an estate sale in the 70's, before the internet, and could have bought one of these, perhaps even bigger than that one, for I recall $100. It was too big for me to haul, fit in my shop. The deceased guy had it outside in a breeze way between his house and shop. It was an awesome saw, and was being almost given away because no one could move it or fit it in their basement. I think its starting price was around $500 but at the end of the day, marked down to $100, and still no takers. It looked like a saw a large lumber yard might have.

Reply to
Jack

Sounds like my 36" Crescent band saw... it resides in my lumber shed because it wouldn't fit in my shop due to the height. I had to expand the lumber shed for it!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

How much is a new blade for it?

Reply to
G Ross

Probably not a scary price, I have a blade for my Laguna that I paid $200 for 10 years ago, and that is scary. BUT fortunately BS blades are easily made to any length so a large size is not something that is hard to find, if you buy direct from some one like Timberwolf or a local maker of blades.

Reply to
Leon

I'd love to have a 36" band saw. 18" radial arm not so much... You're right, what would one do with it?

Reply to
Jack

that rotary cutter for doing the birds mouth was great

never seen one of those

also realize that have never ripped with a radial arm saw at least no recollection of doing so

too bad it was not shot in color

Reply to
Electric Comet

36 would be fantastic but very heavy and probably require a forklift

a 24 would be nice too

Reply to
Electric Comet

Yes, very heavy... to get it on the trailer for the first move a backhoe was used. To get it off the trailer at my friend's shop a gantry crane was used. He later loaded it on his stake truck with the gantry crane. The truck had a power tail gate and that is how we got it off the truck. For me to move it into the lumber shed I disassembled it... motor, wheels, table, upper wheel adjustment mechanism, etc., all came off so that there was pretty much nothing left on the frame. It is big enough, and heavy enough, that I plan to put a power feeder on it so I can rip a couple thousand bf of ash for my new floors.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

bandsaws sure can rip

i still marvel at how fast a bandsaw can cut wood

great invention

Reply to
Electric Comet