Wood filler recommendation for exterior use

When going the caulk route, it's important to follow the manufacturer's specs for filler strips. You can't just fill a huge void with caulk and walk away. If it's over a certain width/depth (usually 3/8"-1/2" max), you need to put those foam backer rods in the space, under the caulk. Too many people neglect this important step, then blame the caulk for failing. Caulk expands and contracts like an accordion. It can only be adhered on 2 opposite sides. If it's adhered to 3 adjacent sides, it will pull away from one, opening up a gap. Even if it's applied to 2 sides, properly, if the gap is wider than the manufacturer's specs it will either crack in the middle or pull away from one side.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I am pleased that I was able to help you.

Reply to
dadiOH

Doug -

You will rarely, if ever, see dadiOH give bad advice. I do all manner of repair and finishing for a living and have to say his advice is usually spot on.

Thanks for the kudos. I try to keep my mouth shut about things about which I do not know.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thank you Robert! Considering the time that has passed and the number of folks you correspond with, you may have forgotten the several exchanges we had in this forum regarding best practices and materials for finishing a red oak model display stand I built for my dad. While it is an indoor only item - it looks as good as the day I finished it, which indicates I properly followed your very specific instructions. I find experimenting and learning from one's mistakes valuable - although in that instance was under the gun schedule wise and could not afford to mess it up and start over - back to the belt sander as I recall you commented.

Doug

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

Reply to
Doug

lay stand I built

y I finished it,

Thanks for the kind words. I kind of remember that... but more importantly glad it worked out well. I am sure it looks great.

under the gun

the belt sander

There are times where experimenting is a complete waste of time. I too, li ke to find out things for myself, work up my own protocols and ideas for my work. But at this juncture in my life with many more years behind me than in front of me, I am much more happy to take instruction, then practice te chniques based on practical instruction until I am satisfied. My youthful zeal for reinventing the wheel is gone.

I got a big laugh at my own expense over the belt sander comment. What tac t! I am glad you took it as it was meant, not in a bad way.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41