Exterior wood filler?

Some critter has been gnawing on the frame surrounding our garage doors. I'm not replacing the damaged parts, at least until I'm certain the critter is gone, but I do want a least a cosmetic repair in the meantime. I recall a discussion of wood fillers a few months back, maybe while on the subject of window sash repairs? One product was recommended the most, but my memory has slipped another cog and I do not recall the product. would some one help me out?

Maybe Bondo Wood filler? Or Famowood?

Larry Kraus

Could it have been this one? I forget whether it is suited for exterior use, but I like the product.

Bill

'P.C. Woody' works fine but be careful -- in smaller packages they will charge you far more than what is proportional. Of course if you buy a big package to save money there is the chance that it will go off before you can use it all up. This is very hard stuff and when you are done if you need to nail or screw it will call for a pilot hole. The same company also sells a water-thin epoxy which is good for reinforcing and sealing semi-rotted wood.

John McGaw

When the fluffy tree rats chewed the edge of my shed door frame I capped it with aluminum flashing. That gave their teeth a workout!!

Reply to
clare

Not much is good from Minwax anymore, but their two-part epoxy filler works like a charm, when you need the durability and can paint the surface. It's hard as a golf ball when it dries, so don't over-fill, or you'll leav e a hell of a halo of worn wood around the edges from sanding. (Use a bloc k.)

nce-wood-filler

On the other hand, depending on how long you're intending to go before repl acing, it doesn't sound like you need much of a fix here. May want to try to hit it with the easier ZAR Interior/Exterior wood filler. I believe it' s still sold both in tubes & pots.

pdf

Reply to
Steve

Don't know how much damage you have faced. It's better to call pest exterminators, they can come up with the permanent issue. Better to first get purge of critters otherwise they invade again and again to devastate wood and other pieces of equipment.

Reply to
jessica222