will they stand behind the tools still

I suspect Craftsman will be one of Stanley's "premium" lines. - along with Proto and MAC

Reply to
clare

So you're saying that cost does concern you.

Reply to
krw

I certainly did not say that, but I concede I have been loyal to the brand--as far as hand tools goes. I avoid buying tools at a lower level than Craftsman, even if it costs me a few bucks. Whether they charge me $15 or $20 for a wrench, I probably won't notice the difference--I'll be in a bigger hurry to get back to the reason I bought the wrench in the first place. At least they have a very nice selection...and tools I would never have thought of (and mostly don't need for the time being). I bought some ratchet extensions which "turn corners" not to long ago, just in case I ever need them. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" for about $15. If I die before I use them it will have been a waste of money! ; ) Does it concern me? Not the cost...

Reply to
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If they position it at the same level as Kobalt, I think they'll really have something. Decent tools, decent price. All my screwdrivers are Kobalt (except for the 4 that are Craftsman), and I guard them! Precision Phillips aren't to be destroyed by guys who have been turning screws for years, go beat up your own screwdrivers!

I hate the noise of a screwdriver bit slipping in a screw head. Shows the operator is screwy in the head.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Now I'm totally confused. First you indicate that it doesn't matter, then it does, and now it doesn't again. Exactly what *are* you saying?

I don't buy very many tools when I need them - too late, rather when I see one that may be useful. I may buy specialized plumbing tools when I have a job coming up but that's about it. Fasteners and such I keep stock of whatever I may need in the next year. I don't want to stop what I'm doing for the "lack of a nail".

I don't buy much of anything at Sears anymore (just parts for my tractor), mainly because there are none around but also because HF wrenches are just as good and a whole lot cheaper and I was never a real big fan of any of their other tools (I do have some screwdrivers and a couple of hammers from 30 and 40 years back). It didn't used to be that way. For "expendibles" (I can't even count the number of wrenches I've lost in my lifetime) HF is plenty good. The cost of han tools matters some but a lot less with power tools. That may sound backwards but I'm done being stuck with with what I don't really want. Buying what I really want only hurts once and I can wait.

Reply to
krw

From what I understand Lowe's handles two levels of tools. Kobalt is the lower line and I forget the other brand. It is speculated they, Lowe's, might take on Craftsman and it will be the middle grade brand.

I invested in Wera Screwdrivers, they have laser etched tips and really grab tightly, even the straight drive ones.

I understand that the Craftsman diamond coated tips hold very well also.

Reply to
Leon