will they stand behind the tools still

No, Xerox was making photo copiers at least as bar back as 1962. My dad went to work for Coastal States Gas then and they had "Xerox Machines"/photo copiers. It was the first time my dad ever used one. I recall him taking me to work with him on a weekend and showing me.

But I imagine they were few and far in between.

LOL

Reply to
Leon

We had Thermofax. The school in 1973 had a spitit duplicator. Try copying the warranty off the label of a set of tools with that. You could take a picture. Mabee even a polaroid, which will have faded to un-readable by now.

Reply to
clare

did not know that and did not know about evolve line of tools

now i wonder if sears will continue to sell the tools

i am guessing they will they just won't make them

they will probably make more selling them now then when they made them

Reply to
Electric Comet

would not have paid that for the name which is all they did

so i cannot enter the mindset of an idiot that paid 900 mil for the craftsman name

it used to mean something a long time ago

sears must be laughing their butt off and now they will continue to sell the tools and make more then they were making

i am surprised they pulled it off because i did not think sears had a brain cell

Reply to
Electric Comet

Make that spitit duplicater a SPIRIT duplicator.

Reply to
clare

Sears NEVER made Craftsman tools. All they did is design (specify) and sell them. Not a lot will change at Sears as far as Craftsman Tools is concerned, at the store level.

Even Stanley /Black and Decker doesn't make all of their own tools. Much of their production is "farmed out" to the far east.

Husky tools are made by Stanley. Stanley also owns MAC tools. Until 1994 Stanley made much of the Craftsman tool line. Proto is also made by Stanley and is actually the highest quality line of tools Stanley makes. Stanley owns production in Taiwan as well - so technically I guess you COULD say Stanley produces virtually all of their own tools - but not necessarily in North America.

They got raked over the coals real good recently for marking toold "made in America" when they were really "assembled in America fron Globally Supplied Parts"

Reply to
clare

The Craftsman name is one of the most valuable brands in North America that Stanley did not already own. They didn't stand a chance of buing Snap-On and they already own or produce most of the rest. They produced Craftsman up untill at least the mid '90s so they know the market - - - - They CAN make a better Craftsman tool than Danaher has been making for the last roughly 20 years, as according to most users the pre-'95 Craftsman tools were better than the later ones..

Reply to
clare

They never made them.

Reply to
dadiOH

To my mind, it still means something, perhaps more than it should. And, I suppose, that's what they paid for--a decent amount of "goodwill".

Reply to
Bill

it is not anymore and that is why sears sold it

they made quite a deal a win win for sears

900 mil and they can still make money selling the tools
Reply to
Electric Comet

this deal just keeps getting better and better for sears

but they sold more than the name

they must be selling the designs and molds and any intellectual properties

Reply to
Electric Comet

Sure, if Sears continues to sell Craftsman tools, they'll have to honor their warranty. It doesn't transfer to Stanley, even if they use the "Craftsman" name (which one would suppose they will).

Reply to
krw

There's a difference?

Reply to
krw

TIT and RIT ;!)

Reply to
Leon

But I never checked at a pair of RITS on a woman. Am I missing something?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Can" isn't the issue. Sears offered the tools they thought would make them the most money. I don't see anything changing in that regard.

IMO, the pre '80 (varied) hand tools were better than later tools. The power tools were always the pits. The rebadged ones were, in most cases, more expensive than their equivaents.

Reply to
krw

What other brand would someone pay 900 million for??? The brand has value, whether YOU think so or not. Stanley/ B&D will do very well with the product line unless they REALLY screw things up (and knowing B&D that is a very STRONG possibility)

Reply to
clare

Wrong. Sears needed *cash*.

Like most sales, it's probably a win for both sides.

Reply to
krw

They will, and so will Stanley. Something better than 90% of Stanley-Produced mechanics tools carry lifetime warrantees today.

Reply to
clare

My point is that it's highly unlikely that Stanley bought the "Craftsman" warranty liability from Sears. Sears is still on the hook for that, if it means anything at all.

Reply to
krw