where to buy wood on internet?

I would like to go to a web site and order plywood, melamine, etc. and get it delivered to my garage. Is there something like that beside Home Depot or Lowes that offer very limited selection? If so which is the best.

-Peter

Reply to
pzi

Hasn't the president taught you anything? It's Internets. I hear they're a series of tubes...

(It might help if you told us where you lived. I found a great place in New Zealand but I suspect you don't live there)

Reply to
Jeff

OK - lets start with New Zealand :-). Devner Colorado would also be useful.

Reply to
pzi

Have you tried your "Yellow Pages"?

can also try "WoodFinder" at:

Nova

has a good selection and will ship to anywhere in the continental US. Not cheap though, and the shipping adds more.

has structural grades in thin sections.

You'll be better off finding a local supplier if you can.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've bought sheet stock from Consolidated Hardwoods up in Broomfield. Pretty good stuff - but not cheap.

I also just found Austin Hardwoods - they have lumber too. Calling them now.

- jbd

Reply to
jbd in Denver

Thu, Dec 6, 2007, 9:15am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@pzi.net (pzi) doth query: I would like to go to a web site and order plywood, melamine, etc. and get it delivered to my garage. Is there something like that beside Home Depot or Lowes that offer very limited selection? If so which is the best. -Peter

Don't know, don't care. If I wanted those materials delievered, I'd start by checking with some of the real builders supply companies in my area - and I don't mean Home Depot or Lowes (wouldn't shop at HD anyway).

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Try also ..Paxtons up near commerce city. or Centennial Hardwoods, not sure of their new location they recentlt moved because of TREX.

Reply to
not

Try also ..Paxtons up near commerce city. or Centennial Hardwoods, not sure of their new location they recentlt moved because of TREX.

Reply to
not

nice selection - this is my first choice so far as real store option. This has major advantage that you can inspect the stock while you pick it up. With internet orders you get what they ship - end of story. thanks jbd!

Reply to
pzi

Very good - called Paxton up and got much better price for melamine panels then at Austin, I think I found my supplier. Thanks not@chance!!

Reply to
pzi

Agreed -

I live in South Denver, so Austin will probably be my first choice for sheet goods.

I'll continue to order rough lumber from Steve Wall. Yes, I do miss going to my old country mill in Indiana (Wilmont Hardwoods?) and picking through the piles (and paying $3.25 for nice cherry...). But that's the price for trying to make sawdust in Denver.

Steve Wall ships cheaper than you can buy in Denver - and the quality of what he ships out is very, very nice stuff. I've got some 5/4 walnut coming UPS for my dining room table project - and another 100 up in the rafters of the garage.

Good luck -

Reply to
jbd in Denver

Paxton's is one of the major area wholesale supliers, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc... I suspect Austin and Centenial also buy from them. I know many of the local cabinet shops w/o rail access also deal with them. Good for us weekenders that they also have a retail store with a nice selection of sheet goods and hardwoods, priced by the board foot, buy what you "need". Heres their URL

only if there were a paxtons or some such on on the south side of town...oh well JDH (AKA not@chance)

Reply to
Anonymous