What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

And a kerf that's *curved* according to the amount of skew.

Reply to
Steve Turner

This has always worked well for me.

Max

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:48:21 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Right, so loosen the trunnion bolts and move it instead. Same/same.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0-- Clarence Darrow

well.....yahah

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:02:18 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

Simply lowering the light level would help, too. Unscrew a couple of the fluor lamps, Bri.

Ditto Exposure and Lighting (For Digital Photographers Only)

Lots of good info.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:20:33 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks scrawled the following:

Done. Ahh, much better. The dial is quite readable, but the picture is still blown out (your hand has pure white spots on top, etc.)

Lowered light levels would help your $20 Chiwanese camera a bit.

BTW, I've never even seen a thickarse square like that. Where'd you find it? Is it aluminum or steel?

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:43:01 -0600, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

Streetwalkers vs striped aminals?

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Clarence Darrow

Thanks. Looks like I need to read-up a little.

Ed Bennett. Can't go wrong with Ed. High quality, awesome customer service:

=A0 =A0 =A0-- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Clarence Darrow

Forgot to mention that it's steel.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

RE: Subject

A 12" x 12" x 3/4" piece of MDF with a 3/8" x 3/4" white oak runner attached at right angles (Or parallel if you prefer) to the edges.

Drop runner into slot, adjust miter gage face to 12 x 12.

Get a beer and admire your work.

Lew .

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's not complicated enough. Come on Lew. Geesh

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

That's not complicated enough. Come on Lew. Geesh

----------------------------------- Shucks, that was low hanging fruit.

As my dad told me when I was very young.

"Son, you want to find the easiest way to do a job, find the laziest person you know to do it."

"May not be the fastest, nut it WILL be the easiest."

As you can see, that lesson made an impression on me.

You want a challenge?

Simplify the design of the straight pin.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Often heard in medical school and residency programs with reference to differential diagnosis of a patients signs & symptoms -- i.e., think of common things first, not oddities. For example, if an otherwise healthy patient comes in complaining of a cough, think common cold and not some obscure form of lung cancer...

Reply to
blueman

Or use a PALS which allows you to precisely move the trunion bolts via a pair of allen screws rather than repeatedly wacking with a mallet.

Very useful in my experience. I was able to adjust my 20 year old Craftsman table saw to within 1 thousandth that way...

Reply to
blueman

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:37:31 -0700, the infamous "Max" scrawled the following:

"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:14:02 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks scrawled the following:

I said:

Ayup.

couldn't even _budge_ my tight little wallet.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If the blade isn't parallel to the miter slot the anomalies mentioned will occur regardless of the miter gauge accuracy.

Reply to
Nova

And, since -- as everybody knows -- a zebra is 25 sizes larger than an a-bra, it definitely qualifies as 'unsual' and/or 'exotic'. Chesty Morgan, where are you???

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

There's at least one exception to Occam's Razor. In the exegesis of Biblical texts, when faced with two differing renditions, scholars have learned that the more convoluted and complicated of the two is usually the more correct version. It seems that, during manifold copying, the ancient scribes sometimes tried to simplify a text by rewording it.

For example, the phrase "Do unto others as ye would have them do unto thee" was once enshrined as "Don't be evil" until earlier texts were found. You can Google it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sonetimes it is a Zebra......10-11 years ago after a rather hellish (pain filled) 4 months, near death, multiple biopsies, a wrong cancer diagnoses, eventual surgery and subsequent immune suppressants etc....... my Doctor turned to me a said your a "Zebra".......apparently the medical team had been looking for a horse....Rod

Reply to
Rod & BJ Jacobson