what's a 12 inch jointer worth ;-)

... it's not a Craftsman ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

550-600V? A nickel a pound.
Reply to
krw

Hub, you in the USA? If so, that Canadian electricity might not work, here. Might need some southern hemisphere electricity to run it!!

I'd suppose it's in working order. For a Canadian, maybe $500 to $750 tops. I'd want all the wiring, switches and boxes, also. If it has other accessories, then possibly $1000, depending on the accessories.

It's an auction. bid low and see what happens. You can always walk away.

Another view here with the floor cleaned up -

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Then again, you might can get it for not much money, at all. Sale ends tomorrow. Nine bids so for and top bid is $40 Canadian. Compared to the bidding on the band saw, router & table, table saw and drill press, no one really wants the jointer.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Don't figure a 230 volt motor will spin it ? ... I'm not an interested bidder - just posted here for a chuckle. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'm not interested in owning it - just posted here for a chuckle. John T.

Reply to
hubops

And how big is this motor? How big is the service needed? I still stand by a nickel a pound, minus a month of chiropractor's care.

Reply to
krw

So you in?

Reply to
Markem

I might put in a bid on a couple small items - but not the jointer. The auction is not far from me. John T.

Reply to
hubops

A heck of a lot more than $40 Busy bee about $4000 new About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and within easy pick-up distance for you.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I just posted it here for a chuckle - I certainly do not have any desire to own such a machine. I do miss the live auctions, though - where a person can check-out the interesting stuff .... Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large

230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious. John T.
Reply to
hubops

Possibly. Being belt drive would help that effort. If it was direct drive, then probably not.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'd love to have something of the sort again...actually, never owned one but had free access to 16" Crescent for years in friend's shop only a short hop from home...

The last picture that shows back side with the hand crank shows the drive belts shroud.

You'd want at least a 5HP motor and bigger would be better, but looks to me as would be doable. A single phase of ample HP might not fit in the location underneath, but you wouldn't have to mount it there.

If you have 3PH available even if have to swap out for more common voltage, motors are available pretty reasonably as there's a lot of similar equipment repurposed/converted so the 3PH motors are around.

I don't know the particular machine/manufacturer, but it'll weigh a ton or more but other than the logistics would be a dream to have it or a Crescent or the like...

Reply to
dpb

Haven't heard from FrozenNorth in a long while. Might anyone have his contact. He'a in Toronto and, if I recall correctly, he wanted a 12" jointer.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

For sure - and some of our "dave martin" friends up Wallenstein/Yatton/Linwood way would run it on a jackshaft off a diesel too.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

There's whats-left of a '29 Durant in the fenceline back home - was used to power a buzz-saw when I was a kid. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Nope sorry. John T.

Reply to
hubops

dpb wrote in news:ra3ghd$1j1$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

*snip*
*snip*

That big of motor kinda makes me wonder about a gas-powered engine. Pull the snow blower motor off during the spring and make chips. As a bonus, the motor hasn't sat for the last several months with nothing to do.

Maybe a good idea for one of those barn style shops with lots of space.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

When my dad was a youngster their tractor was an old Buick touring car with a Leyland truck transmission and rear axle grafted on the back with an old Star engine across the back for ballast and belt power (A star was a 4 cyl Durant)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Those were the days when you could easily make such a frankenvehicle. Unibodys have spoiled a lot of fun.

Reply to
J. Clarke