What is it? Set 453

A lot of Manhattan apartments are in converted factories. With the wheels, the box looks about three feet high. A maintenance man may have adapted it as a combination scaffold and tool chest. The sideboards appear to be a foot off the floor. They would help a worker step onto the box and serve as foot rests if he used the box as a high seat.

The slots suggest it was made for something with a shaft. The doors suggest that the shaft was removed before they were closed. That sounds like a beam for a loom.

Patterson, the world's silk capital, was 20 miles away. For cotton and wool, the world's biggest mill complex was 150 miles up the Hudson. An apparel manufacturer might pay top dollar for a single roll of cloth woven to his specifications on a quick turnaround. A mill might not even accept an order for one roll.

I see a market for small weave shops in Manhattan. A mill would gladly wind beams for them as they would not be competing for large orders. A weaver would keep several beams of different color patterns on hand. At the mill, the 836 may have told a foreman what pattern was to be wound on the beam. The D may have told him what weave shop it was to be shipped to. At the weave shop, the weaver would want to know which end of the beam was which so that the box could be properly positioned at the loom before it was opened. The H door may have identified the head end of the beam.

Reply to
J Burns

Sounds plausible, didn't find anything though when I did a quick search. I thought the D in the black rectangle might be a logo I could find on the web but no luck with that either.

Reply to
Rob H.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Then what's the purpose of the doors on each end that can only be removed if the top is removed first?

Reply to
willshak

willshak fired this volley in news:k08g16$gps$1 @dont-email.me:

Think about it. IF it was used to hold a beam, they'd want to close it up entirely during shipment to keep trash, vermin, etc., out.

At the receiving end, they'd remove the top and the doors, then insert the lift spike in through the ends (doors). They have to be there, because the center of the 'spool' (beam) is below the top of the crate.

Insert spike, lift beam out of the box. Re-install doors, re-install top, ship empty back to the mill again. There, they remove the top and doors, lift a beam back into the box, remove spike, reinstall doors and lid, then ship.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote the following on 8/12/2012 10:58 AM (ET):

Yeah maybe, but the box doors seem too elaborate for that simple process. When I first saw the box, I thought it was a magicians prop for the famous 'cutting a woman in half' trick, but there's no saw slot in the sides. :-) It may be that this box started out as something very simply made, but was customized more than once for other purposes. Like why is the interior painted black?

Reply to
willshak

willshak fired this volley in news:k098qa$7c6$1 @dont-email.me:

That answer could be as simple as my situation. If something that won't show needs painting, I paint it with whatever color I have handy; and usually that's whatever has already been opened.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh