What is it? Set 469

Today's set has been posted:

Rob H.

2726 is a rivet spacer.

You expand it over the surface to be covered to mark the spaces evenly before drilling for rivets.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Hare

Reply to
Zz Yzx
2725, burner nozzle for a furnace 2726, baby gate for George W. Bush's family 2727, a well made whatever it is. Some kind of wire smasher and puller, for factory assembly? 2728, just guessing a device for separating tubeless tires, while patching? 2729, too dark to see very much. Toy band leader's baton? 2730, lockable base for a gumball machine?

.

Stormin Mormon

2727 - Pliers for a termite control system (buried bait to eliminate colonies - as seen on an episode of This Old House) 2728 - Device to hold a roast (or fowl) while carving 2730 - Display stand (?)

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

2727 Used for pest elimination
Robert

The tool used to maintain this:

Kerry Montgomery
2730" Rotary gun rack.
Reply to
walkerk

Rivet spacer is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

I think this is probably correct but I haven't been able to find another one like it.

Reply to
Rob H.

2729 a bodhran tipper.

phorbin

Good job, based on the links that were posted by several others it looks like you nailed it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, it's a rack for rifles and pistols but I don't know if it's rotary.

Reply to
Rob H.

bodhran before. Thanks for the answer and for the links, I'll forward them to the owner of it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2725) Strange beastie. Assuming that the bottom is sealed (which I think is the case from the first photo), I would think that it was intended to be sealed and put some kind of sample though a tubular hole into a source of heat or cold for processing the sample. The springs keep it from falling all the way in. 2726) *This* one I know. It is intended to divide a space equally for rivets for sheet metal (aluminum, titanium) attaching in aircraft construction.

You mark the position for the first and last rivet, and then expand it so the end arms (all arms have a single hole at the free end) are over the first and last holes, and mark the rest through the holes in the other arms. If you need fewer rivets than the full count (twenty in this example), you can use one end and an inner arm over the end holes.

2727) It sort of looks like a crimper for terminals, except that the business end is not shown in sufficient detail. (The detail which I want is hidden by the tape measure in the last photo).

It could be for crimping joins of sheet metal instead. Or it could be for straightening bent pins on integrated circuit packages.

I am puzzled by the lever, however. I would expect it to be for closing the jaws more tightly -- but I think that as it sits, it is for opening them instead. Perhaps it is for separating two sides of an opening of some sort?

2728) Sort of looks like a tool for manipulating a ham or a roast beef during serving/slicing. The outer jaws close when the handles are pressed together. 2729) Intersting. It sort of looks like a beater for a bodhran (pronounced bo-ran) an Irish frame drum), but it looks rather ornate, and to have been made of ivory. Perhaps for a similar drum in some African culture, instead?

With a bodhran, it is beat alternately with both ends rather rapidly by vibrating the beater back and forth in the hand. But the beater is normally wood in all that I have seen.

2730) Rack for securing twenty rifles with a single lock. Likely for military use. Looks as though it closes on the barrel, with the butt at the bottom. and the top has a separate locking mechanism -- perhaps to grip by the sight or the bayonet mount.

I see that the slots are numbered, so each soldier can recover the weapon which was issued to him/her specifically.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The previous owner of this one had some African artifacts so it could be from there, the current owner described it as quite heavy and said from its history it could be over 100 years old.

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks again to everyone who helped solve some of the items this week, the answers for this set can be seen here:

Rob H.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

One answer is that the depth of the water is measured in fathoms and rope length is measured in feet. ; ) Actually, I'll still curious too.

Reply to
Bill

I looked for a patent but didn't find one, so I don't have any information on how it works.

Reply to
Rob H.