What is it? CXLII

According to R.H. :

Aha! The link to a site selling old magnetos shows every one illustrated with the crank at the gear end as I thought -- not at the end where the square is for a slip-on crank as shown in your puzzle one.

O.K. I doubt electrical boxes specifically -- but anything made of iron or steel which is large enough to pick up a field from the Earth's field. And it would particularly point to discontinuities. (Hmm ... it might be for finding the cast-iron cylindrical housings put around buried water meters or water (or gas) valves at the entrance to a property.

O.K. The function was right -- just not the field of application.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I wonder what the crown is for and what the three-leg piece is for. I wonder why it is marked all the way to horizontal.

George A Caldwell Company Maintenance and repair of all types of hydrants

150 Old Page St, PO Box 646, Stoughton, MA 02072 Tel. (800) 695-4101

At the same address is International Metal, a scrap dealer founded in

1903. International Cable is a subsidiary.

George A Caldwell Company owns a waste-disposal site in Waldoboro ME, which suggests that it and International Metal are the same company.

If you want to be a water utility one-call coordinator in Madison, you have to know how to use a magnetic curb box finder.

gave away watch fobs showing their boxfinder:
's another tool for the purpose:
in the 20th Century, the Ludlow Valve Company was perhaps the world's largest manufacturer of fire hydrants. They were in Troy NY. James H Caldwell became VP in 1892 and pres in 1909, retiring in the

1930s. Coincidence?
Reply to
Doghouse

Ah, that, or similar function now make sense. Thanks.

Mark & Juanita

The needle on the Boxfindr was locked in place and pulling up on the crown released it, if I remember correctly it was held in place with a magnet. Thanks for the links that you posted a few days ago.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.