What I learned today at the "TOH" website

Well, the new season for TOH is underway and judging from the webcam pictures the project will be interesting. The most intriguing piece of triva is that this is the first house for the new host - Kevin and the house is barn conversion in Concord, Mass. Hmm, wasn't there a barn conversion project in Concord introducing a new host (guy by the name of Steve) about 12 years ago? Full circle I guess.

Anyways, here's what I learned watching the webcam pics:

  1. Tommy doesn't appear on site all that much these days. Nor can I find Dick Silva either. The Silva Brothers are doing the building as many of the crew wear the familiar yellow shirt, but a few are not, given belief to me that perhaps they are from another company.

  1. The TOH crew is ONLY on site about once every third day or so. Certainly, I don't see where they are there every day which means, Kevin ain't swinging the hammer all that much. Norm showed up in today's pics (Aug 4). First time I saw him.

  2. They begin work at 8:00 and finish at 4:00.

  1. Almost no, or little work is happening on the weekends.

  2. It must be very hot back East. A number of guys are shirtless and to be honest, should be wearing shirts!

  1. A fairly large crew, I think about 5/6 people are there when they film a segment for the show.

  2. Boy are they able to command any truck, excavator,etc. when needed. They seem to always have a fair amount of equipment about. And there is always a full crew of workers about.

  1. Norm looks like he is doing some work. Today it appears that he is doing some foundation work - I think a sill plate for the back extension. Means that on occasion he will do something when they build.

So, to sum it all up. It appears that TOH crew doesn't do a lot of work, at least these days. When they are there, they might do something, but I don't see it happening every day. Norm is only on site occasionally. And God only knows where Richard is - I haven't spotted him yet.

MJ Wallace

BTW:

the site URL.

Reply to
MJ Wallace

What happened to Steve? I rather enjoyed him.

It may be a bit early for Richard, don't know.

I knew the standard crew you see on TV wasn't there everyday, I guess the main stars are busy doing a lot of home shows.

Robert

> is the site URL.

Reply to
Robert C. Cain

MJ Wallace spaketh...

I'll start watching again. Steve was ok, but very dry, very boring. I stopped watching after he took over. Hopefully the new guy will be a little more lively.

Reply to
McQualude

That's been a LONG time, since he took over about 11 years ago! You've missed a lot of great projects. Hopefully, you're catching them on THIS OLD HOUSE CLASSICS on HGTV.

My favorites with Steve were: the tri-plex in Boston, the houses in SF and Napa (I'm from California so got to root for the home state), the Acton house, and the ranch remake with timber framing from Ted Benson. And there were others as well. Steve's been a good host, much, much better then Bobbie! Cheez can that man interrupt!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace