What Finish Would be Best on Maple Flooring?

Hello All

I'd like to know what would be the most durable, longest lasting finish for maple flooring?

It is for the kitchen in our home - a very high traffic room. Besides the table and chairs in the eat-in kitchen, it is the hub to the other rooms in the house. The floor was sanded and refinished 5 years ago with Minwax polyurethane. That finish just did not wear well at all. From the very beginning it started showing wear. The same finish was applied to oak flooring in the home, and those floors look fine.

Is it unrealistic to expect any finish to wear well under high traffic and with dining chairs being moved in and out from a table? We are going to sand and refinish this floor, and would like to know which wood floor finishes are would be most durable and retain a good appearance the longest under these conditions?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Kenn

Reply to
KC

People in this newsgroup have recommended Bonakemi Traffic for such situations:

I'd like to know what would be the most durable, longest lasting finish for

Reply to
Daniel

as long as he doesn't mind working with a catalyst. I used Bonakemi Mega which requires no catalyst, but has less durability. Be sure to use their applicator pad or a similar one.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hi, Scratches are just more likely to show up on the maple because it's lighter. Stick with oil based. I prefer Sherwin Williams brand. One thing I like to do is start with a high gloss because it's harder and soaks in better which will harden the wood. I skip sealer all together. Then I follow up with two coats of whatever sheen I want. High gloss will show scratches more than satin. AND...put sticky felt pads under the chair legs and don't use them as a step stool!

Reply to
Jana

I'm curious why you don't use a sealer. Also, I've never heard that high gloss soaks in better. I like to use high gloss for all but the top coat, for maximum clarity. I'm not arguing, mind you, I'm just curious.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hi Dave, I've done it both ways but have just had better luck with avoiding scratches that get into the wood itself when I use the high gloss as the first coat. The high gloss is so much thinner than the satin and seems to me to soak in and harden the wood. The sealer acts as a primer that stays on the surface. The sealer does make the finish more even on the second coat but by the third it's all the same. Especially with the hard maple. Jana

Reply to
Jana

thanks for the clarification of why you omit the sealer, Jana. Can't argue with success!

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Street shoe

Reply to
Mike

I've always understood that WAX is the best for high traffic................

Reply to
VZNG1

slip slidin' away...

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

There are no better hard finishes formulated for floors than Basic Coatings Street Shoe and Bona Kemi Traffic.

None.

I have seen kitchen floors I did ten years ago with growing kids which have done quite well under Street Shoe.

You will get a different look than oil, less ambering, much cleaner looking(a matter of taste). If you prefer the ambered look, use an oil sealer or quick dry oil poly first.

The cleaner you keep your floor the longer it will last. Grit acts like sandpaper. Your chair leegs need to be protected.

tweaked