bamboo next to oak floor?

We are doing a kitchen remodel and would like to replace vinyl floor with wood. All the rest of our house is oak flooring. But I am concerned about future water damage. I've been told that bamboo is much more forgiving in the kitchen.

Has anyone installed bamboo in their kitchen where the rest of the house is wood floor?

Do the two different woods complement or clash?

Reply to
revheck

They'd clash - even if the stains are close, the grains are very different. It's better to have a more frank difference, like going from oak flooring to tile or good updated vinyl.

I gotta admit my bias - I really dislike wood floors in the kitchen. But since you want sticks on your kitchen floor ;-), I'd go with oak and let the experts here advise on preparation.

Cheers, Banty (looking at my two-day old porcelain kitchen tile...)

Reply to
Banty

Here's my 2=A2

oak for living areas; bedrooms, den, dining, etc.......accent w/ area rugs,elegant & clean

tile for kitchen, bathrooms & laundry (or vinyl)......durable & clean

wood floors & water do not mix well despite what the marketing guys say

I've got a 75 year old house with original oak floors; some areas refinished ~20 years ago (Swedish finish), some areas recently uncovered from 75 years under wall to wall (R&R a few times). They got a superficial buff & light refinish, I can only hope I look as good at

  1. Still have vinyl in the kitchen, not sure about remodel. But the 75 year old tile still works in the baths

BTW have had experiience with wood in two kitchens

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I tend to agree, though bamboo comes in different colors. If the=20 oak is dark, perhaps a natural bamboo would work.

Bathrooms, without question. In kitchens, where people may stand=20 for long periods, tile is hard on the feet. Dropped things don't=20 do well on tile (and verse visa) either. We had time in our=20 previous house. The wife nixed the idea for the kitchen in our=20 current house.

Bamboo isn't wood. We have bamboo in the kitchen (dining room and=20 hallways) and it's fine, at least so far. ;-)

Bamboo shouldn't be a lot different.

Have had experience with tile, vinyl, and bamboo. Bamboo works and=20 is cheap. ;-)

--=20 Keith

Reply to
Keith Williams

In my area (midwest) it is very common for older, quality-built homes and apts. to have oak floors in the living room, dining room, etc. but maple in the kitchen. The maple stands up better to water exposure (oak tends to turn black). I don't have personal experience with bamboo flooring but have seen a number of positive reports on it in this newsgroup.

Especially if it's an eat-in kitchen, the floor will get a lot of traffic and will probably need refinishing before other areas do. But so what. All flooring needs refinishing or replacement eventually.

Bamboo or maple will not match the oak flooring, of course. You might want to consult some design/decorating books or a flooring dealer as to how to make the transition work aesthetically.

Reply to
Heathcliff

replace vinyl floor

flooring. But I am

told that bamboo is much

where the rest of the

Bamboo is no good for heavy traffic like in a kitchen. It's not really hardwood. And it discolors ALOT. My friend had it put in her home office and after only 2 years it looks awful. And thats not even high traffic. Boo on Bamboo

Reply to
Kathy

Depends on the bamboo... dud she get the cheap $2/sq ft stuff? There's a restaurant near me that's been open for about 3 years with bamboo floors, and it's the very definition of high-traffic. Their floors still look amazing.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Bamboo is as hard as or perhaps a little harder than maple, which is significantly harder than red oak.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Probably got less to do with the bamboo than with the

30,000 layers of acrylic on top of it, and regular maintenance.
Reply to
Goedjn

Bamboo is supposed to be several times harder than Maple which is why more cutting boards are being made with it. With this in mind, I cannot see how it would wear fast on floors because of it's toughness. The main ingredient to keeping water separate from the wood is "finish". The type of sealant and protective finish will work the same on either floor .

Reply to
meanie

huh? every cutting board i've seen uses maple, also because it has little to no pores. bamboo is a grass, and is porous, so would be a poor choice for a cutting board.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

No he's right (at least about cutting boards; I haven't looked up anything about hardness..)

I have both kinds - maple and bamboo. The bamboo one is newer and smaller, but so far I haven't gotten the splitting I've gotten on my one of my newer maple boards.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

the splitting isn't because it's harder. it almost always splits where the boards are glued together.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Bamboo isn't as porous as wood. From a random selection searched with the string; [bamboo + "cutting board"]:

Keith Williams

I have a " Mocha Bamboo " floor in my Kitchen.. I placed an oak saddle between the rooms. In my living room I have oak.. it looks great... plus the Bamboo is great with moisture...

Reply to
Rob v

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:15:02 +0000, Rob v posted for all of us to digest...

14 years old & getting older
Reply to
Tekkie©