Best top coat finish for new Brazilian Cherry hardwoof floors.

Hello,

I just put in new hardwood floors in my home in Miami Florida.. Brazilian Cherry that is going to be stained very dark brown ( Red mahogany is the color).. My question is what is the most durable topcoat finish for the floors.

Some info.

  1. I have two big dogs that will be running around the house.
  2. The floors being dark will show scratches more than light floors.
  3. I am in construction and would be open to applying the finish myself or having a pro do it, if I feel I'm in over my head.
  4. Cost of the product is not really an issue as long as I get what I'm paying for.

I've read that moisture cured poly is very good but that is is hard to apply and very toxic. I've also heard it has an amber tint. That is my biggest issue with it, but I wonder if you will be able to see the amber tint since the floors are so dark?

Oil based is pretty much out due to the yellowing.

Would love some suggests of the best brands of poly and experiences with them.

Thanks A bunch.

The

Reply to
Jason

Keep the nails clipped, nothing known to man will stand up to that without scratches.

I suggest a water based poly. There are a lot of good brands. I don't have any specific one to suggest. I have had good luck in commercial applications with several.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree. Also, consider testing some unused material with varying applications of stain plus finish to get the results you want. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Hi: I am a Pro-floor finisher for the last 21 years. I would use Bona "Traffic" waterbase poly. First stain your floor, Coat with Zinsser Sealcoat (universial sanding sealer), scuff with a maroon "320" grit buffer pad, then apply two coats Trafic. This poly is not for sale to the general public. And runs around $100 per gallon for 400 to 500 sq.ft. Make sure you tack the floor before your application of Traffic. It's so hard you will have trouble scuffing out any imperfections in the finish. Good luck

Reply to
Tim CF

Thanks Tim,

Sounds like a good recommandation. Can you email me your email address. I'd like to ask you a couple more questions.. About screening between coats and the if I should still use the sanding sealer since the floor is going to be stained.

Email me.

snipped-for-privacy@Mail.com

Reply to
Jason