What finish for oak birdfeeder?

I am looking for your advice on which finish to use for a small oak birdfeeder. Thanks,

--Jon

Reply to
Jon Wood

Hopefully its white oak so it will withstand many years of sun and rain and snow and ice and.....

No finish on the inside - the little tweeters like to peck at wood and we don't want them glowing in the dark with all the man made chemicals. As for the outside - just let it weather unless this is a piece of art (fancy birdhouse) in which case, water based paint in colors that will attract the species of bird you want to live there.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I painted mine with housepaint. However, it's not made of oak, just scraps. The inside isn't painted, because that's the part that touches the food. Frankly, I don't think the birds care. As long as the food's good. Have fun. Joe

Reply to
kb8qlr

None

Check the Audubon Society web page for lots of good information about bird houses and how they should be sized, etc. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Leave it unfinished, I'm sure the birds will be adding there own "stain" over time.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock