Good side of board - towards or away from blade

A WW101 question about minimizing tearout...

On a table saw, should the 'good' side of a board be face up or face down?

Does ripping vs crosscutting matter?

Would I reverse it for a compound miter saw?

ThankX all and have a good holiday, Ron

Reply to
Ron

good side up. some blades will minimize tear-out to an incredible degree. for example a "double sided Melamine blade". You can minimize tear out on the bottom side with a zero clearance insert, but for fussy stuff like 2 side melamine, that's not good enough. then you need the correct blade.

I cut on my CMS with the good side up. The tear-out is on the bottom, just like on the table saw.

circular saw - good side DOWN. (think of it this way; the circular saw is just a small table saw, but upside down.)

dave

R> A WW101 question about minimizing tearout...

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

however, if you have a well tuned saw with a good blade in it it won't matter.

crosscutting modern hardwood veneered plywood panels is where I'm most likely to get chipped edges. the surface veneer is so damn thin....

probably. really, do some test cuts to see how your particular machine behaves...

Reply to
nospam