Wax okay over poly?

Newbie here. Is it okay to put a wax finish over an oil based polyurethane varnish as a final coat?

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Sure...no problem, but why do you need to?

Bill

Reply to
WORSS

Sure, Bob. If you cut back the varnish with 0000 steel wool then wax it and polish it, it'll look a lot more "natural", as well as cutting down any nibs in the varnish.

Cheers

Reply to
Frank McVey

Thanks for the replies!

Reply to
Bob

I wax everything whether it needs it or not. It's all part of the process for me.

Reply to
Silvan

Yes, but Minwax suggests waiting 30 days until the poly has fully cured. I usually wait a week or so.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Wipe on or brush on? I'll bet the wipe on cures in a week...

Reply to
David Binkowski

I like to wait several weeks for a finish to cure (and fully harden), then I apply wax. I use wax on painted pieces too.

Reply to
Phisherman