Solid Stain over Varnish?

25 years ago, my entry door started with a stain and a layer of lacquer, which was not worth a darn. Fifteen years ago, I used "Furniture Restorer" to smooth out the badly weathered lacquer finish.

I then gave it two coats of spar varnish. Now the varnish is weathering/deteriorating. It is not coming off, just looks weathered and dark in some areas.

The door is heavily carved and paneled. I can't see how I could possibly remove the old finishes. The wood is solid mahogany.

Can I use a "Solid Stain" on top of the old varnish? That way the exterior finish would look uniform, without looking painted. ??

Reply to
Walter R.

Most solid stains look very much like paint because they serve a similar function. They hide what is underneath. You might be able to use a gel stain, which is a thick stain type product that while covering up, is designed to leave some shading, brush strokes, etc, that appear similar to natural wood variation.

However, with a solid mahogany door, I think my first approach would be to strip it and then use a regular stain and clear coat sealer. I stripped my double entry doors. I used paint/varnish remover. It did take some time and elbow work to deal with the various features, but the results were well worth it. Another option would be to take them to a shop that does professional stripping refinishing.

Reply to
trader4

Thank you. I am too old to take this one myself. I'll try to find a professional stripper.

My concern with stripping is that the interior is in excellent condition and I am afraid, if they use stripper on the exterior side, the liquids will ooze through the many cracks were the door is assembled, ruining the interior side.

Reply to
Walter R.

There are new strippers available that are not like the ones you remember. Also consider varathane water based spar finish for the final clear coat. Hard to find but it is easier to apply than the oil based and you can easily do 4 coats in a day.

Reply to
Art