protecting Danish Oil

I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it? If not, is there an alternative?

Reply to
Griffo

Danish oil is oil and dye with some varnish in it. Polyurethane varnish is the standard on wood floors these days, and since it darkens the wood a bit, you may not need Danish oil at first coat, depending on the colors.

My red oak floor got a double coat of polyurethane after its sanding. Nothing else was needed.

Reply to
John Hines

I would suggest that not doing any "protection" of it would be the best thing you can do. One of the characteristics of it is that it can be easily repaired or renewed. You just use more of it. You can do spots or the whole thing. It blends nicely. If you were to cover it with something else I believe you would loose that ability.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks John. Would polyurethane varnish adhere to wood treated with Danish Oil? I had assumed it would not.

Reply to
Griffo

I've heard of using danish oil followed by a layer of a caranuba type wax, which held up well and looked great. Not sure how much you are gaining over polyurethane, though.

Reply to
marson

John Hines

Oil over oil is fine. Use an oil based floor varish or oil based polyurathane.

Before you go to the time and expense of danish oil try just oil poly alone first. You may be surprised that there is little or no difference. Of course try this on a scrap.

Reply to
No

I notice that polyurethane disappeared from the part of my floor that I walked on a lot.

I don't know what finishes earlier hard wood fllors had, that were also walked on a lot, but I never noticed wear on them. Never noticed that the finish was worn out in some places and fine in others.

Reply to
mm