Protecting Danish Oil

I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it? If not, is there an alternative?

Reply to
Griffo

I have no idea what Danish oil is, so it probably is a little off the topic, because I don't think it would be wise to use on a floor, but just for interest sake. If you want to make pine or origan pine, or any light colored wood in fact to have a more antique look, use the following recipe, two to three coats will do.

2 parts raw linseed oil, 1 part brown vinegar, 1 part methelated spirits, 2 parts turpentine

it finishes your wood to a beautiful, rich color, and feeds the timber well.

Reply to
jan

When you apply danish oil in repeated thin coats and let it dry well it becomes hard and does't need any protection. Just recoat once in a while. My outdoor funiture has been protected with this for the last 12 years. have a look here

Norman

I should have said you can wax the floor once the oil has dried to protect it. But you'd have to do it a couple of times a year. I think the novelty would wear off!

Reply to
Bob Hill

Danish oil gives a beautiful finish, but you will need to reseal every couple of years if you apply it to a floor,. If you want to avoid that hassle, then I suggest a flooring grade polyurethane.

Reply to
Bob Hill