Danish Oil Question

I am in the process of finishing a birch-skinned door. I'm experimenting with some finishing ideas I haven't used before with the ideal of later using this on some real projects.

I finished the door with 2 coats of Watco Danish Oil Finish, which I understand is not a "real" oil finish. My goal was to see how this would work for bringing out the grain and giving a bit of depth to the finish. I plan to top coat it with shellac.

This is my question, how dry should the oil be before I re-coat with the shellac? It has been drying for about 3 days now and I can still get a hint of oil from the surface if I rub my finger on it hard. Can I go over that with the shellac or should I wait a bit longer - or do what the can says and top-coat with verathane?

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I remember Paul Radovanic replying to a similar question. Here's part of his answer:

"-- I like Tage Frid's method here. Apply the oil, let soak, keeping it wet for 30 minutes, then wipe off all excess. Don't wait for the oil to dry. Immediately wipe the wood with a shellac-soaked rag. This will make the wood look as though it has 4 coats of oil. Follow with pastewax. This is my favorite finish for cherry."

For the full version see:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

I often use shellac after oil. I generally wait 24 hours or so after using Watco or tung oil. I'll shellac over linseed oil as soon as it is dry to the touch.

I haven't had a problem yet.

David

remove the key to email me.

Reply to