Pine finished with danish oil and shellac?

Hello

I built a shelving unit out of pine (Shaker style creamery shelves) and I would like to finish it with danish oil (Watco offer a color that interest me), and since I am going to use the shelves as a bookcase I am thinking about finally applying shellac (orange shellac?), because I am afraid the oil could damage my books.

From what I know, danish oil do not "reverse video" pine as stain does (where the originally darker wood end up being lighter colored than the rest).

I never used any kind of oil before, but I have used blonde shellac on cherry and on tea "stained" pine and I liked the result.

How would the danish oil react with the knots?

Can I really do this, danish oil + shellac?

Thanks for your help :-)

Martin Boulerice Quebec, Canada

Reply to
Martin Boulerice

this is true only of the "natural" color danish oils. the colors in the rest are... you guessed it.... stain.

they will probably absorb less than the straight grain. if the oil has color, the knots will end up lighter...

yes. give the oil plenty of time to dry....

Reply to
Bridger

One other consideration regarding shellac. It can get sticky at temperatures which can be achieved by direct sunlight or proximity to heating fixtures, with negative effect on the books.

given a chance to polymerize, and "Danish Oil" uses polymerizing oils and varnish additives, is less susceptible to softening and flow, which it would do under shellac, anyway.

Reply to
George

If you're concerned, get the Watco Wipeon Poly and put one to three coats on. It works great.

Reply to
Phil

Actually it is not; well, at least not in the walnut. It is asphaltum.

Reply to
Toller

which in the context of wood finishes is a stain.

Reply to
Bridger