joiner alignment

I have an older Rockwell-Delta 6 " joiner and the tables are not level with each other . I believe the term is they are not coplanar. But at any rate the beds come down to a V at the cutter head. If I adjust the gibs I can get them level with each other but you can feel some slack in the bed. Is this how you level them or is the joiner worn out ? I hope not, I really appreciate my Stanley #7 but was hoping the joiner would make life a little easier. Thanks

Reply to
Rick Swartout

Rick,

Having found that the tables are not coplanar is half the battle. The solution is usually to use shim stock on the ways to raise the end that is low. If you have no shim stock, you might try cutting up an aluminum can or cannibalizing a cheap feeler gauge. The shims don't have to be all that long (mine are about 3 inches) and I used superglue to keep the layers together. You can use a feeler gauge and your straightedge to "estimate" the thickness necessary, but due to the angle of the ways a little trig is necessary to get real close. A little trial and error is probably going to be necessary anyway. I just loosen the gib screws, rock the tables a little to allow me to stick various blades of the feeler gauge in there and adjust till I get it right. Most of the "understanding woodworking machines" books have a section on tuning up a jointer if this is not clear enough. I also found that one end of my cutterhead was low relative to the outfeed table (causing the knives to project too far on that end) and had to shim that a little as well. Good Luck!

Sawblade (use malson to fix address)

Reply to
Sawblade